HybridZ

BMW's new twin turbo V8!!

Gareth

When you refer to the TT i6, you are talking about the motor out of the 335/135i, right? From the reading that I've done on it it seems to actually be a pretty impressive motor. I admit that my reading hasn't been extensive or anything, just lurking on the forums and learning what I can when I have nothing better to do.. But from what I've learned all that needs to be done is a tune and it makes close to 400whp with no bolt-ons whatsoever. I would think that if that's true then it would seem to me that if the car was modified to breathe a bit better and then tuned that 450+whp wouldn't be out of the question without spending a lot of money on modifications.

I'm not that much into the TT I6 mods, but I have confirmed info that you can map a 100% stock engine into the mid 300s without trouble. With some bolt-ons it should be easier to reach 400HP. I guess that the engineer my friend was talking to didn't want to say he whole truth about the engine's strengh, maybe that's just marketing talk?

Btw this isnt really a new idea, Audi has been doing it for over 4 years..... well other than the turbos over the intake.

Are you reffering to the Audi's twin turbo V8? It's true that they've been for a while on the market already, but as far as I know they don't have that much technology into them... They're fairly conventional in design in fact.

WHY direct injection?!?!

the fuel needs to atomize with the air for a better combustion and efficiency!

Why do formula one engines have stand off injectors BEFORE the velocity stacks?! not for awe factor!

Just sounds like a stupid idea

I've read that fuel which is directly injected into the combustion chamber evaporates and considerably cools the chamber, which enabled the BMW engineers to use very high compression pistons for a turbo engine (10:1 as far as I remember). Additionally, more precise amounts of fuel that are distributed by the high pressure injectors mean that the fuel consumption and emissions are lower than in engines with typical non-direct injection.

That looks like an impressive motor. It sure will be interesting how they'll contain the heat.

Also I'm not doubting what your BMW friend said, but I'm guessing that there is a healthy headroom in the design of the ttL6 for manufacturing reasons. If tolerances are on the razor's edge, it would open them up to a lot of warranty work. Wishful thinking on my part I guess...

I agree with what you wrote, but from my point of view I can't really tell if what the engineer said was true.

I also do not understand why one wouldn't go for a single turbo setup at that point. I think the turbos up top is probably more for clearance than anything else, but that is a guess.

Maybe that's because twin turbos have much lower boost threshold? I think it's the same reason why they installed twin turbos on the inline 6 instead of one - it's all about torque delivery, effortless driving, fuel economy and flexibility.

All the "great BMW engineering" and I'd never own another one unless the warranty was for the lifetime of the car. This year I've spent as much in repair bills as in car payments, yet my 240SX with 212K got $0 (zero) dollars last year in repairs.

Terry, that's what I say too about German engineered cars! LOL My mom has a Jetta and I keep telling her to get rid of it before it goes out of warrenty! I personally hate German cars. I think they are over engineered and just complicate things. I would only own one if it was under warrenty! They are great cars when the check engine light isn't on though but how often is that....LOL

Guy

German cars are like golf.(no pun intended).Pretentiousness and elitism on wheels,of course any owner of one will tell you there is "Soooo" much difference and they are worth every penny,despite the fact that the cost is always completely out of proportion with the increase in performance.

Are you reffering to the Audi's twin turbo V8? It's true that they've been for a while on the market already, but as far as I know they don't have that much technology into them... They're fairly conventional in design in fact.

Sorry forgot the RS6 was right before they came out with direct injection, the new RS6 will have a twin turbo 5L V10 with direct injection. The engine produces 573 bhp (427 kW) at 6,250 to 6,700 rpm and 650 Nm (~482 ft·lb) torque from 1,500 to 6,250 rpm.