HybridZ

Peltier Air Conditioning?

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to use peltier modules:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gigantic-62mm-545-Watt-Thermoelectric-Peltier-Cooler_W0QQitemZ310026743886QQihZ021QQcategoryZ4660QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For air conditioning? They are about 10-20% efficient from what I hear, so it may not be the best method, but would this even be practical? How many of these 545 watt units would one need to chill the air on medium or high speed (obviously specific answers are not necessary - just ball park figures would be cool).

It seems almost impractical with just one unit if they pull 545 Watts. On a 12V system, that means it will pull ~45.4 Ampres. A ZX alternator max output is 60A.

Of course you would also need to bond some heat transfer fins to pull the heat out of the air.

Those peltier devices also generate heat on the other side, so you would also have to figure a way of rejecting the heat generated outside of the cabin, just like an A/C condenser does.

It would probably work really well for a beer chiller though (j/k).

I agree... I think the real plus is in the weight savings and simplification. I just have no clue if these will even put a dent in the cabin temperature.

Yes, you would need to put heat sinks on both sides with CPU fan on exhaust side, but that is simple. Alternatively polarity can be reversed and it can make heat, but I am a firm believer in having a heater core since it can double back as a radiator when you are over heating... Secondly, it is free heat, this draws amps/gasoline. At the same time though am I X-lbs a believe? Hmmm.

As with most things... if it really is that easy, wouldn't OE already run it...

Some OEM's already run them, but they are used only for the beverage cooler. IGLOO has had these on the market for years as a 12V plugin to the cigarette lighter.

I'm not sure what the power consuption is, but these won't cool down a beverage, rather they can keep an already cool can cool.

Just like you said, you can reverse the polarity by flip the plug over, and it becomes a warmer.

I've played around with these peltier devices a little. If you heat one side and cool the other, you can generate a small current.

I've even thought of making a "storm-trooper" suit using many of these devices. MEMS technology is already ahead of the peltier technology in this regard since peltiers aren't very efficient.

peltiers are cool if you wanna make a heatsink for a computer.

it's a case that is smaller than the car by about 30 times.

so try fitting your datsun with 30 peltiers, and we might be gettin somewhere.

But then you need 15 alternators.

peltiers are cool if you wanna make a heatsink for a computer.

it's a case that is smaller than the car by about 30 times.

so try fitting your datsun with 30 peltiers, and we might be gettin somewhere.

But then you need 15 alternators.

not to mention the fans needed to suck the cold air off the ceramic plate, as well as trying to fit them under the carpet.

if you got an idea, go for it, but i dont see it being efficient :hs: