HybridZ

stroker but need more

roughridin89

• Administrators
Braap, that was a l28e or l28et? that sounds like what i want!

NO turbo, (have never had a Turbo Z car, at least yet any how) This was an N/A '75 L-28 short block dished pistons. Head was an N-47 from a '77 car, (same as the '75-'76 N-42, but with round exhaust ports with liners).

Here is a picture of that engine as it ran described above. The EFI is bone stock, AFM, injectors, manifold throttle valve, etc all original '75 parts, just cleaned up cosmetically with a 1" diameter aluminum tube as a fuel rail, nothing special.

BraapCustom.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention one little detail (sorry guys). I did un-shroud the valves in the head and blended the back side of the exhaust seat into the liner, no work in the intake, valve job was just a kiss on the valves and seats. For those keeping score at home, that cylinder head was my VERY first attempt at enhancing cylinder head flow, and what started the ball rolling for our business as it is today. :wink:

NO turbo, (have never had a Turbo Z car, at least yet any how) This was an N/A '75 L-28 short block dished pistons. Head was an N-47 from a '77 car, (same as the '75-'76 N-42, but with round exhaust ports with liners).

Here is a picture of that engine as it ran described above. The EFI is bone stock, AFM, injectors, manifold throttle valve, etc all original '75 parts, just cleaned up cosmetically with a 1" diameter aluminum tube as a fuel rail, nothing special.

BraapCustom.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention one little detail (sorry guys). I did un-shroud the valves in the head and blended the back side of the exhaust seat into the liner, no work in the intake, valve job was just a kiss on the valves and seats. For those keeping score at home, that cylinder head was my VERY first attempt at enhancing cylinder head flow, and what started the ball rolling for our business as it is today. :wink:

The best I was ever able to do with an L28/N47 head was 15.6@87MPH. I didn't have a header but there were lots of small tweaks done to the car that made it fun to drive. :D

• Administrators

That picture brings back some memories. I first met Braap, '91 or '92, at an autocross at LCC. We chatted, went for a short blast, and the rest is history. That car ran damn good.

The moral?... its all about tuning.

hmm, well now that i know the potential for the stock engine, and because of my low income, I think i might just hold off on the turbo setup and make a fun fast stock engine. from the sounds of it, it just takes a LOT of fine tweaking to the stock setup, and lots of time and mild changes to pull out it's hidden potential, eh?

If anything it almost sounds like the older pre-O2 EFI that came with L28s is better suited for tuning. Mainly because it's so primitive and doesn't have an O2 sensor that will at some point interfere and try to correct your ratio. You can mess with everything a little more freely.

not really. it's not really that nice when you want to start changing things. if you just want a stock setup it's ok. but if you went to a megasquirt system you can map out the entire rpm range and everything. and apparently it also picks up quite a bit on it's mpg. I suppose because a MS system is a lot more effiecient throughout the rpm ranges.

the MS system is totally programmable and iirc you can use the O2 sensor to map out the fuel ratios. not sure if how much the O2 functions with the computer though.

The very first 3 liter that was built for me used all JY parts and a N33 JDM only head the car was setup using Volvo V6 CIS injection, which is about as restrictive as the L series AFM EFI. After setting up and doing some initial tuning with SDS and a very primitive datalogging program and a friend doing some cleanup work on the head and intake manifold the car felt like it picked up 40 hp.The car did go from running 14.6 with the CIS to 14.0 with the SDS and a slightly bigger cam.I would imagine with the 100 rwh shot of nitrous (12.5 with the CIS injection)that was on the car at the time it could have touched 11`s. But a head gasket "gave up" and I decided to go with a turbo motor and havn`t looked back.

Years later I was talked into using an AEM EMS , so the SDS and a modified stock dist. and a MSD BTM went on a friends car that was using a 75 ECU an FMU and locked timing. The difference was quite dramatic, the car was smoother got much better mileage and was faster.