HybridZ

200hp vg30e *help*

Okay i know ive made like a million ridiculous posts but this ones serious, im not looking to do a turbo swap as i work to much and lack the knowledge ( but im willing to learn) but anyways i live in a military town and of course with that comes machine shops for the average and too-common mustangs and camaros BUT the benefit of this is that ive got a well experienced close friend who does professional flow-bench testing and porting/polishing on heads and whatever else you want, so ive decided this..

1. ive alread dropped a little weight (the car, not me) with total removal of all of the AC system, CF hood and latch, along with aluminum rims and soon to come race seats ( i know i know, ricey ricey..)

2.electric fan conversion (dont know how much that counts for) along with full tube ceramic headers and a cat back exhaust, along with a gutted plenum.

3. im getting heads P/P by forementioned professional (hes 68 years old an has worked on everything from s30 Zs to big-block chevelles and porsche 928s) along with a street cam grind (either Isky or maybe if i save up in the next week Jim wolf tech)

4. newer clutch and a lightened flywheel.

Think ill be able to break the 200hp barrier? thats really all im looking for (i know the CF has nothing to do with power i just like the looks..sorry) i just enjoy driving a nicely maintained Z of the same year i was born, i dont get into the club scene (local tuner club i mean) as most of the asshat members jock on anything that isnt twin turboed chrome polished ground wired carbon everything bodykitted hood pinned fart canned supposedly 400whp froma 1.8 vtec s**t (sorry i have a life and gf to spend *unfortunatly* my little bit of green on) lol

and i only rarely participate in stoplight drags (gotta love messing with HS kids and their hondas..lol), im more into hitting the local abandoned ( but maintaned oddly enough) race track and enjoy the little bit of uuumph and great handling it has now but i cant resist modding anything..

so i basically just need advice to try and break the 200hp barrier step-by-step with a mildy low miles VG30e ..thanks for all the help!

(no car can ever come as close to "sleeper" as the local guy in NC with a geo metro converted to RWD with a 420whp buick turbo 3.8 neatly tucked into the cabin..lols..7 seconds in the 1/4 mile in a throwaway car thats smurf blue)

200 at the crank or 200 at the wheels? I can see 200 at the crank being easily accomplished with the VG30. You pretty much already have all of the needed basics down, head work, cams, etc. As far as the cams though, personally I'd go with a regrind from Isky. Tell them exactly what you want and they should be able to design a cam for you that will work exactly as needed. The JWT S2 cams will definitely make more power... but they're designed more towards being turbo cams since the majority of the high power VG's that will need cams are going to be boosted... they simply won't be optimized for an NA setup. Now, that's not to say you won't hit your goal with them I just think it would be better getting a custom setup designed specifically for what you want. Plus it would probably be cheaper anyway.

Now... if you're wanting 200 whp (which equates to upwards of 250 bhp) you probably want to skip the VG30 and go with the VG33. Either build up the VG33 with custom, high compression pistons along with the basic head work and cams or you can go with 90-96 Q45 pistons, a slight bore, and the head work for an easy 250 hp. Possibly more with the right head work and custom cams (I'm pretty sure the 250 hp VG34 setup was using JWT cams which, like I said above, aren't very optimized for NA power).

yeah, ive heard alot about the vg33-vg34 being the way to go as far as N/A, im just looking for a little more guts as my current lifters and rockerarms are showing wear from 3 years of sitting with no starts or maintenence (previous bastard owner, typical highschooler..) as far as the vg33 i definently forsee it in the future as my coworker has a 3.3 villiger van *divorce settlement* with 98k on it he doesnt want so way down the road after the cars riding and looking the way i want ill def. consider a builup.

Isky? i looked at their site and found no listings for vg30e or even nissan! contacted them and still no response...

Yeah, just give 'em a call and they'll do your cams for you. Supposedly... I heard somewhere that they were the ones that did the cams for the Electramotive GTP car using the VG30ET... which was in the 1000+ hp range for their qualifying setup. :mrgreen:

Regardless though, they'll definitely do your cams for you. :2thumbs:

Yeah, just give 'em a call and they'll do your cams for you. Supposedly... I heard somewhere that they were the ones that did the cams for the Electramotive GTP car using the VG30ET... which was in the 1000+ hp range for their qualifying setup. :mrgreen:

Regardless though, they'll definitely do your cams for you. :2thumbs:

Yes, I spoke to ron Isky about some cams for me and satan and every z31 owner and he he advised me of his past with the nismo camp. and they will cut anyone some cams.