HybridZ

SBC 305 in a 240....

Guest Sumner

Guest Sumner

Hi,

First to introduce myself. I found the board looking for information on 240 rear ends as I'm using one in a lakester I'm building for Bonneville.....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bvillecarindexpage.html

.......... on that page you can find links to where I modified it to chain drive.

Anyway I just gave an old 305 sbc and 200R4 transmission to a friend of mine to put in his '73 Z. We did the swap in my shop and just got it on the road last week. It would of helped us probably to of know about this board then as we just kind of muddled our way through the swap.

3-2-08-24%2073%20Z.jpg

3-2-08-20%2073%20Z.jpg

If you are interested or have comments that might help you can see the install here...............

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/73%20Datsun%20Z%20-%20Small%20Block%20Chevy.html

Thanks and I'll be back on here for help with making sure my Z rear will live in my lakester when I put in a larger motor.

c ya,

Sum

Guest Sumner
Welcome to HybridZ.

Why did you choose a 305 vs a 350? You just had it already?

Thanks for the welcome. Yep I had it, so it was free to Shaun. He picked up a Edelbrock manifold at work for $50 for the 4 barrel swap and a friend donated a q-jet and another donated the headers, so it was a fairly cheap swap except for the fans, shifter, exhaust. Later when Shaun has the time/money he can build a 350 or 383 and it will slide right in.

We took a test drive and this motor is pretty tired with about 135,000 miles on it and I had him get in it some. I asked if it was faster than before the swap. He lit up in a big smile and said yes way faster.

I only hope he is careful. I wasn't too smart at that age and sometime I'm still not to smart :roll:,

Sum

Hi, Glad you found this site. Nice work BTW! Whilst perusing your website I noticed that your 700r4 pages have been in my favorites for about a year now. Really good info.

Also, what type (brand) of mufflers are those? Are they straight glasspacks are something else? How is the sound outside with them? I need my car to be reasonably quite (I'll be driving it to a Hospital some and they probably wouldn't appreciate a deep throaty rumble at 6am like you or I would!)

Anyway, Welcome to the forum!

Tim McNamara M.D.

ps enjoy your retirement

Guest Sumner
Hi, Glad you found this site. Nice work BTW! Whilst perusing your website I noticed that your 700r4 pages have been in my favorites for about a year now. Really good info.

Also, what type (brand) of mufflers are those? Are they straight glasspacks are something else? How is the sound outside with them? I need my car to be reasonably quite (I'll be driving it to a Hospital some and they probably wouldn't appreciate a deep throaty rumble at 6am like you or I would!)

Anyway, Welcome to the forum!

Tim McNamara M.D.

ps enjoy your retirement

Hi Tim, the mufflers are straight through, but there are little baffles in them and when you install them you can turn them one one to make them quieter or the other. We chose the quieter way on both sets. Shaun has a BMW with one of those loud mufflers and he didn't want that on this car. You would have no problems going to work with these I believe.

Shaun works at the only auto repair place in this small town and got them there. I'll see if he can find a brand/part number and post it back here. We tried to see if we could get oval mufflers in the car in front of or behind the IRS, but weren't having any luck and these fit up into the well and by the IRS pretty good, so we still have good ground clearance by them. I think the crossover pipe right before the first set of mufflers also helps with the tone and loudness of them.

Glad my 700R4 stuff has helped,

Sum

Guest Sumner
Welcome Sumner,

Your rear end plan is intriguing. Brings new meaning to the term open diff!

My concerns with it now are what might break after reading some of the failures these have. I would like to keep the center section as I've done a lot of machining on it and it fits the car now and I would also like to keep the outer hub area by the wheel/tire as I also have a lot of work in that area. I could change the 1/2 shafts, outer stub axle the short axle that goes to the side gears and I would like probably to convert the outer axles to a 5 bolt pattern (the rules might require that also when I run over 200). I see there are parts for a lot of that, but I don't understand all of them at this point.

The current motor is no problem as it doesn't have the power to break anything, but I plan a 500-600 hp blown Hayabusa motor down the road and that could present a problem. One thing is on the salt there are not big shock loads like there are on the drag strip. The salt only has about .5 coefficient of traction compared to asphalt and we are running on a tire with 70 psi and only a 4.5 inch tread. We were able to run an 800 HP blown sbc in Hooley's stude...........

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-index.html

.................... and a Muncie 4 speed and didnt break the transmission like we would have at the drags with that combo. We thought we might though, so now run a G-Force NASCAR style tranny in the car.

I'm open to any suggestions as to what parts to use to make the IRS live in my lakester and in Shaun's Z.

Thanks,

Sum

BTW if any of you are interested in Land Speed Racing (Bonneville) I have quite a bit of info on my site here......

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bonneville-Index.html

Guest Sumner
.......Is this a "scarab" kit? (I think that's how you spell it)

Is that directed at me?? If so we just made everything ourselves. I probably should have gone on line or somewhere and looked at what others had done, but we didn't.

c ya,

Sum

Guest Sumner
That Lakester build is awesome!!! Nice work!

Thanks Mike and Dan and everyone. The Z was a fun project and I'll continue to help Shaun with it. He is coming by today to work on putting new gauges in the dash. I'll post a picture of that when it is finished.

The lakester has been a long road and hopefully it will be on the salt in August for at least a break-in run.

Dan I was by you last year with my pickup and teardrop. I went to my nieces wedding in Bend, OR and then down to southern CA for the dry lake races at El Mirage. On the way I went pretty close to you on my way to visit my friend Mike Akatiff who has a 350 mph motorcycle streamliner...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/ack-attack/ack-index.html

........... and has it and his shop in San Jose.

Well I'd better get out in the shop and get something done.

c ya,

Sum

Guest Sumner
I machined the wheels on the BUB machine.. i was impressed when i saw it on TV doing 350mph. :)

So was I and even when it was standing still. You ought to be proud of your work on that.

For those of you who might not know what we are talking about it is the current world record holder for the world's fastest motorcycle....

2006%20BUB-9.jpg

There is more about it and the incredible shootout for 3 very fast streamline motorcycles in 2006 here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/b-ville%20meets/2006%20BUB-index.html

2006%20BUB-17.jpg

The fastest one way speed was set by Sam Wheeler with his streamliner at 355 mph, but he wasn't able to back it up with a return run like the BUB streamliner did.

c ya,

Sum

phx-goodguys1.JPG