HybridZ

Fitting the dash around the roll cage....

ZROSSA

Howdy all.

I was in the shed this afternoon and started to think about how to modify the dash to fit around my roll cage. The cage is in very close to the a pillars and is in fact welded to them in places. I will need to cut up the dash a bit to get it back in. It looks a though I will be able to use the standard mounts in most places so that cool. Any ideas on how to do this without butchering the dash?

Cheers, Douglas

Could you get some pictures? My only idea would be to cut out a half cylinder to make clearance for the tubing, then glue in a new piece of plastic to finish the edges. Possibly abs tubing.

Are you getting much done on the car in general? Cant wait to see it completed.

I wil try tp get some photos this weekend. I went to take some months ago for you and found the camera wasnt charged. As its my wifes camera I had no idea where the charger was and soon forgot about it. Sorry. Progress is very slow, however its almost ready for paint. Working on the zed is one of my rainy day jobs. It just doesnt rain much here and usually by that stage there are a whole bunch more more important rainy day jobs ahead of it.

The windscreen is out. I dont see how I could get the dash in that way. The front bars of the cage run from the roof to the floor. No matter which way it goes in some of the faom and I suspect internal metel structure of the dash will have to be trimed. I just dont want it to look like crap. I guess I could make a template of sorts. Just wondering if there was an easyer way.

Douglas

You'll need to make a carboard template of the top of the dash and use that to determine where and how much to cut. If you cut a "U" shaped section out of the dash with the open end of the "U" facing the A piller and the front downtube, you should be able to angle the dash into position either through the windshield opening or from inside the car. Remove the steering column and all the HVAC stuff first.

Just wondering if there was an easyer way.

Keep wondering... :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure how you have your cage set up... but, here is a suggestion. If you the bars connected to a hoop for the top section you could:

• Measure the location for the bars and transfer that to the dash
  • Cut out the bars going to the floor.
  • cut holes in dash where the bars come down and reinstall dash
  • slide bars back into place thru the holes you cut
  • weld and you are done :wink:

This is assuming that you did all the work on the cage yourself. Just some ideas from watching Spike TV and all their car and truck shows.

Thanks, Roll cage wouldnt pass tech if I did that. The dash is craked so will need work anyway. I will make up a pattern when time allows. Silly season for me at the moment. 16 hour days................

Douglas