HybridZ

Engine casting number

Six_Shooter

Where would I find the engine casting number on a Datsun L6?

I'm trying to determine exactly what my engine is.

So far I know that it is indeed an L28 (I know where the engine build number is), and that it has a P90 head. So from this I would think that the engine is from an '81 to '82 280ZX. I have come to this conclusion based on the information I have found about the P90 head, that it was only a turbo head, apparently a somewhat desirable head for performance, and that the engine is an L28. I have not found however how to identify the casting number, other than I would think that it should be an F54, based on the other known information.

Thank You.

*EDIT* After doing some more searching it seems that the combination I have, the P90 on a probable F54, could have either flat tops of dished pistons, and that would be the difference between the turbo and N/A version of this engine. Short of pulling the head (not going to happen) or using micro cameras (also not going to happen), is there any way to determine what pistons might be in the engine from external markings?

*EDIT 2* More research, I have read that the N42 has it's casting number to the right of the driver side engine mount. Since my car is currently at work, I'll have to check that tomorrow to see if I find a casting number here. If this info isn't correct anywhere else that I could find it?

I just checked, yes the casting number is to the right of the driver side (passenger side for the RHD guys :D ), and my block casting is an F54.

I hope you're correct TR, in other engines that I work with the plugs are usually far too shrouded to look in through the spark plug hole and see with any certainty what the pistons would be.

I haven't pulled a plug yet, but it looks like the Datsun L6 uses a fat plug. That will make it easier to see in. I'm not too worried, either way, I'm throwing a turbo on it, flat top or dished, I'm kinda hoping that it has flat tops for a bit more compression, which is a bit low IMO, if what I read is correct that the flat top pistons with the P90 head results in about 8.8:1 SCR.