HybridZ

what can i get out of this 300zx to my 280z

Guest darrell

Guest darrell

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/car/600252068.html

hi, i found this crashed 300zx and i believe i could talk him down to selling it for 1000 (he is asking 6800 for his other runner and 7000 for both) . anyways, what kinda parts can i get out of it to go on my 280z. engine and trans for sure, but would i be able to get the 5 bolt brakes and everything into a S30 without insane custom work? what sort of work is require? im drooling over the CV shafts, engine+trans, and 5 bolt. please help fast.

p.s mod: dont move the post to 300zx forum after just reading the title :P

Not much more than the R200 can be easily used.

The engine/tranny is a major undertaking. Even more so if it is a turbo (didn't look at the ad) Major mods to get it in and running.

Not sure about the brake system... I can say, if it is/has been done, it would be pretty uncommon, and you can take that from my 19 years of z ownership, and a z31 turbo driveline in my 280.

Maybe someone with more brake experience will chime in?

Scott.

It's a Z32, so basically nothing... The R200 is a short nose, which won't fit without serious work, and I personally think you're better off with the long nose anyways.

Though I personally think that the NA motor from the Z32, the VG30DE, would be a pretty sweet swap if you're fine with less than 300hp. Low weight, sits far back and low down. Parts are readily availible if you break something. Just most people opt for the turbo (or twin turbo in this case) swap which has a hard time fitting with minimal fabrication.

Guest darrell

yeah i think the engine is pretty sweet, im good with 200+ hp(non turbo swap should be easier aswell). and it has really low mileage. since its a whole car, i can rip out whatever wiring i need and the engine mounts, crossmembers , trans mount should be a cake and i dont have to run around for pieces. i already have a soild R200 with LSD and 3.7 gears.

so the CV and 5 nuts are completely useless?

I honestly can't say, because I just don't have experience with the Z32 stuff, and I havn't spent the time researching, but the diff itself is definately the short nose. If someone who knows more than me wants to chime in, sweet.

I think for $1k you shouldn't pass it up if you're gonna do the engine swap. You might be able to make half of that back in interior and other misc part on ebay. Maybe even more.