HybridZ

Bumper, yes again, but different.

Six_Shooter

I pulled the front bumper off my '73 tonight, looking to see what it's going to take to move it back the 2 or so inches it should be.

I noticed that the outer mount holes almost line up with a hole in the bumper itself, so I'm thinking about cutting off the round piece that is welded to the bupper bracket, and then cut out the bumper bracket that os welded to the bumper. I'm not real fond of this idea.

I'm also thinking instead to take the bumper mounts off, and cut about 2" (or whatever the actual measurement is) out of the mount and then use this to move the bumper back. This is a more likely scenario.

What I'd like to see is the differences between the '70 to '72 bumper and brackets and the '73 parts, since so many people mention there are differences here. I haven't been able to find any pictures of the differences.

Show whatcha got!

Iam looking for that too.

I was thinking to cut the brackets about 2" but one told me not to do that because the 73 bumper a bit wider.

I don't see a problem with that really. It just means that the bumper will be spaced away from the body.

I haven't been able to set the bumper in position yet, as I didn't have enough time to remove the brackets and then needed to put the bumper back on in the stock position, as the car is being kept at work for now, until I get my truck back together, and open the space, or I sell my Malibu, which even comes first.

The 240 bumpers are much nice looking. I dislike the larger 280 style. Too bulky.

I agree, part of the reason I really tried to and found a 240. ;)

Jerry, what year is yours? If it's a '70 to '72 I may have to stop by and see what difference they would be in the bumber and brackets. Besides I want to see your car in person anyway, it's very clean from teh pictures I've seen.

I've read about people doing that, but haven't seen any pictures that show the differences, do you have any?

I'll check to see if I can find some pics, but the bumper for the earlier cars fits much closer to the body. I'm sure it fits as you think your current bumper should. I know when I swapped, I was much happier with the look.

I remember taking a pic of the two bumpers to compare, but don't know if that pic survived. I'll check my old pc to see if I still have it. If I find anything, I'll post it here, but give me a few days to look.

If you do go that route, you'll need to switch to the earlier style mounting brackets. I saw mention of cutting the '73 brackets above, but it's easier to make new ones (just bend some flat stock and drill a few holes).

A 71 Chris.

Looks like I'm going to have to stop by and see what is different in the front bumper and brackets, yeah that's it, no other reason. :lol:

I should have just looked at your sig. :oops: I seem to foget to look there for information on people's cars.

Let me know about the other parts in the PM. ;)

The difference is the mounting brackets. The 70-71-72 brackets are thinner metal pieces that (this is hard to describe) bolt to the body and then the bumper, the 73 are more of a crash type bumper BRACKET with a round tube on the end that pushes the bumper away from the car. The 73's also used a boomerang looking bumper filler on both ends to fill in the gap on the ends.

I will try to get some pics for you guys and post them here.

The difference is the mounting brackets. The 70-71-72 brackets are thinner metal pieces that (this is hard to describe) bolt to the body and then the bumper, the 73 are more of a crash type bumper BRACKET with a round tube on the end that pushes the bumper away from the car. The 73's also used a boomerang looking bumper filler on both ends to fill in the gap on the ends.

I will try to get some pics for you guys and post them here.

Yeah I figured the earlier brackets wouldn't have that round tube, and I know that the early 240s also did not use that ugly rubber filler piece. I' have removed mine, and will NOT be going back in. I really prefer the early 240 pushed in bumper look, so even if I have to cut and weld, I'm doing it before I start driving it.

Pictures would be great!

I was working in the front (fixed some lighting issues), and noticed that there were two bolt holes on either side of the grill opening, below the hood hinges that looks to line up with the bumper. I am assuming that the early bumper bracket bolted into these holes. Is that a correct assumption?

I may just make a new bracket to mount the bumper.

Still would like to see some pictures of the OEM parts if at all possible.

I was working in the front (fixed some lighting issues), and noticed that there were two bolt holes on either side of the grill opening, below the hood hinges that looks to line up with the bumper. I am assuming that the early bumper bracket bolted into these holes. Is that a correct assumption?

I may just make a new bracket to mount the bumper.

Still would like to see some pictures of the OEM parts if at all possible.

That's correct on those bolt holes. You can bend some flat stock pretty easily to match up to the older style bumpers and those holes, rather than buying the nissan brackets.

And I unfortunately can't seem to find the pics that I had of the two types of bumpers. Sorry...