HybridZ

Best Repair For A Stripped Oil Pan Drain Hole?

I have one of those 5/8" rubber plugs in there now. It fit nicely.

I guess that is a temporary solution though.

I saw online a company called Time-Sert that makes threaded inserts.

Are they any good?

Changing the oil pan is a pain in the butt...

Any ideas??

I've worked in Lube shops for over a year, and we get this stuff a lot. I hate those little butterfly plugs. They work well... but its not permanent.

You can Heli-Coil it... thats a type of thread insert. I've used them before, and can't complain. Although I think that tapping the drain pan, if possible is going to be the best plan. As long as it won't ruin the integrity of the pan.

What exactly is wrong with the drain hole?

I think some of the internal threads are gone, so a bolt will screw in and back out, but I will not get a good tight seal.

It leaks some oil like this.

Retapping might be an option, that is something I could do, but I am not

sure I want to take the chance of really messing things up!!!

Just an idea. If you can get it clean enough, put in some JB Weld, then tap it again. It won't be good as new but it should seal ok. You might also try adding an o-ring as a washer. There is no oil pressure there so all you need is a good air-tight seal.

If you drop the oil pan then just weld a nut onto it.

Arizona z-car has a cast aluminum oil pan with Diamond trap doors that I myself have been eyeing for quite awile,but as has been posted changing oil pans is a real pain. If you like to go around corners fast it's cheap insurance from uncovering the oil pick up.I installed an auto meter mechanical oil pressure gauge that is very quick to reveal sudden drops in oil pressure, thats why I will be getting that pan.

But really changing the pan even to another stock one is really only slighty more difficult than doing an oil change,I would suggest letting the car sit for a couple of days other wise oil will be dripping on your head every two seconds.Also there seems to be some difference between years so if you scrounge a pan one from a wrecking yard be sure to get the pick up thats go's with the pan,had that problem once.

One other thing I forgot to mention,when I rebuilt my motor years ago I removed the oil filter bypass valve in the block and plugged it.All the oil must go through the filter before going to the bearings. The only drawback is that you have to let the engine warm up before revving it other wise you could blow the filter off the block,but if you use a k&n or fram hp1 it wont be a problem.

Ah, gotcha. I've been eying that pan as well, although right now I have very few ways to justify it. I'll probably be looking into that more though once I get her lowered a bit. I've already blown one engine up due to oil... lol! (at the same time I was working at a lube shop of all things)

I actually didn't know the pans were different though for some reason. Makes sense. probably just a L24vs L26 vs L28 thing eh?

I should've posted this yesterday, but I've been sick. Here is your fix: http://www.artsautomotive.com/HondaOilPan.htm It is an extremely cheap fix, if you have access to a welder. I did this to my brother-in-law's Integra. I doubt it will ever get stripped again. You can probably thin the nut down if you are worried about oil drainage.

Wow, what a response, you guys are awesome...

I bought a used pan and will switch out sometime soon.

In the meantime, I have one of those butterfly plugs in there and it is holding.

I researched it a little and the consensus is that they work, just replace

every oil change...:eek:

I have plenty of experiance at changing oil, I work at an oil change facility. Goto your local oil change place, and they'll put in an oversize plug if possible. Probably a ford plug of some sort. Its quite common. A toggle plug(butterfly) is only for a last resort. They do ok....if you have nothing else, it sure does beat replacing the oil pan.

The oil change shop will charge you a few bucks for the plug, and if they pull a vaccum on the motor, you won't loose any oil. If your gonna do it yourself, just bring your plug in, and tell them you want an oversize plug that'll work. If it doesn't work, get a toggle plug.