HybridZ

V8 motor placement

It appears to be classic "Scarab" (Hooker) location. Not bad, but not the best in my opinion. The other kits, especially JTR, are better for engine placement. JTR requires the extensive modification of the hood latch if you go with an HEI distributor.

Davy

Thanks for the replies, I thought it sat pretty far forward. I definetly want the engine further back, would it be fairly easy to buy a JTR kit to move it back? Its also got a ford toploader gearbox at the moment which I was going to replace with a tremec 5 speed or toyota R154 box, don't know if that would complicate things or not.

Is it registered? Do you have the original engineering approval? If so, you want to think seriously about not letting the rego lapse.

If it's unregistered make sure you know all the registration requirements. If you do things right it can be registered but make sure you don't spend time and money and then get knocked back for rego.

You should get familiar with some of this information to set yourself on the right track. http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/safety/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx and have a chat with an approving engineer early. Not just any engineer but one who is authorised to approve modifications.

If it's unregistered make sure you know all the registration requirements. If you do things right it can be registered but make sure you don't spend time and money and then get knocked back for rego.

Excellent advice. Over here in the states we forget about other folks laws. Nice catch Boy from Oz.

On the JTR conversion question, as long as you still have the original engine mount pedistals it should be a relatively easy job. The JTR kit offsets the motor to the right about 3/4" to clear the steering shaft (on LHD cars). The set-back plates and spacers are interchangable though. If you reverse them it will shift the motor to the left side. I have no idea if this will clear everything on a RHD car though. The kit was designed for LHD cars. The kit designer, Mike Knell, is a member on this site and he may have some better info for you.

Try doing a search here that includes "RHD" and "JTR" and see what you get.

Also, if you have a mechanical fuel pump it will have to be replaced with an electric one. The JTR set-back plates need that space that the mechanical pump takes up.

if it is in place and working then leave it alone. setting the engine back a few inches is not going to help much. The engine may even run cooler with the engine more forward because it gives much more room around the firewall for hot air to get out.

if you want to lighten up the front end then install some aluminum parts (heads, intake, water pump, radiator) and add a mini-starter. moving the battery to the back will also help a lot.

If you want even more power, then install a 350 crank.

Is it registered? Do you have the original engineering approval? If so, you want to think seriously about not letting the rego lapse.

You should get familiar with some of this information to set yourself on the right track. http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/safety/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx and have a chat with an approving engineer early. Not just any engineer but one who is authorised to approve modifications.

Yep its engineered already and still registered in NSW but I live in VIC so I will get it transferred once the car is completed.

if it is in place and working then leave it alone. setting the engine back a few inches is not going to help much. The engine may even run cooler with the engine more forward because it gives much more room around the firewall for hot air to get out.

if you want to lighten up the front end then install some aluminum parts (heads, intake, water pump, radiator) and add a mini-starter. moving the battery to the back will also help a lot.

If you want even more power, then install a 350 crank.

One of the reasons to shift it back is with the JTR engine mount kit is you can bolt up a tremec 5sp and it will come straight out of the stock shifter hole with no mods and I imagine the JTR transmission mount is for the tremec also(this is from what I've read please correct me if I'm wrong) At the moment its got a 4sp Ford toploader box and I hate it.

One of the reasons to shift it back is with the JTR engine mount kit is you can bolt up a tremec 5sp and it will come straight out of the stock shifter hole with no mods and I imagine the JTR transmission mount is for the tremec also(this is from what I've read please correct me if I'm wrong) At the moment its got a 4sp Ford toploader box and I hate it.

Well then it must be set back. Got to have the shifter in the right spot. The T5 is a nice transmission. so, not a big fan of the ford 4 speed.