HybridZ

turbo identification preoblems.

this is the turbo that is currently on my 79 zxt. my brother told me when he put it on that it was a nismo performance edition of the stock turbo. mind you that was when i was like 14. 7 years later both of our minds are kinda hazy. its a .63 ar. underneath that it just says 25. anybody have any clue. it looks like the stock turbo but its the only one ive ever seen that says nissan motors on the compressor housing.

turbo.jpg

Measure the outer diameter of the compressor inlet. I'm pretty sure that stock is 2.25".

The inducer diameter of the compressor wheel will give you a rough idea of how much flow the turbo is capable of producing.

Wigen-OutS30 has a thread on comparing the stock turbo to a bigger turbo that also has a Nissan compressor housing.

Measure the outer diameter of the compressor inlet. I'm pretty sure that stock is 2.25".

The inducer diameter of the compressor wheel will give you a rough idea of how much flow the turbo is capable of producing.

Wigen-OutS30 has a thread on comparing the stock turbo to a bigger turbo that also has a Nissan compressor housing.

its 2.25" so im not quite sure.

I think mine has a nissan logo on it like that, possibly says nissan on it too.

I'm kinda paranoid about my turbo, and have been searching the junkyards for a spare turbo to have on hand. I've got clicking under hard accelleration and I'm not quite sure what it is yet. If it's the turbo I'll be replacing it soon.

You can put me on the non-existant list of potential buyers. :D Though I'm gonna try to verify what it is first.

I think mine has a nissan logo on it like that, possibly says nissan on it too.

I'm kinda paranoid about my turbo, and have been searching the junkyards for a spare turbo to have on hand. I've got clicking under hard accelleration and I'm not quite sure what it is yet. If it's the turbo I'll be replacing it soon.

You can put me on the non-existant list of potential buyers. :D Though I'm gonna try to verify what it is first.

well just let me know. its also up for sale here so ill keep you posted on it.

Well I looked through the classifieds and didn't see it. Strange.

Totally forgot to look at my turbo while I was working on the car last night. I'll try my best to remember this time. Argh.

by here i meant my hometown. haha. sorry dude. i should have clarified.

it's cool, no worries.

I took a quick look at it after I got back from getting lunch today.

Looks identical. Says Nissna (logo) Motor on it, and right after the motor is a vacuume line.

So I'd say you have an OEM 280ZX turbo. I believe my motor is a 82' if that helps.

Was this ever running in your posession? I'd just like you to confirm that it hasn't shown any problems before I give you an offer. I'm also still considering finding something else that's drop in and newer. Not sure I wanna just go from OEM to OEM turbo to just get by. "Might as well" upgrade it right? :D

it's cool, no worries.

I took a quick look at it after I got back from getting lunch today.

Looks identical. Says Nissna (logo) Motor on it, and right after the motor is a vacuume line.

So I'd say you have an OEM 280ZX turbo. I believe my motor is a 82' if that helps.

Was this ever running in your posession? I'd just like you to confirm that it hasn't shown any problems before I give you an offer. I'm also still considering finding something else that's drop in and newer. Not sure I wanna just go from OEM to OEM turbo to just get by. "Might as well" upgrade it right? :D

very true. ive never had it run but there is absolutely no play at all. my bro bought it brand new. never ran. ever. hahaha. i need to get this damn thing running before it kills me. but anywho.... thats what im doing. i pulled it off to clean up the manifold and now i figure might as well buy a holset while its off. let me know though. some kid offered my $100 for it today and thats enough for my new calipers and ceramic pads.

Well if you're in a hurry, $100 isn't a terrible offer. I'm thinking I need to wait till I get my engine running a little bit better before fixing my turbo issues (if there are any), and I think I'm gonna go with a stock replacement.

I simply know that if I buy a nice HY34 or T3/T4 then I'll end up with a case of the "while I'm at it's" installing an external waste gate, BOV, and boost controller... Not good.

If you want to wait I think I could offer you $150 though. Local yards here charge $90 for a complete turbo, so I'd gladly spend a little more for something guarenteed in new condition. I'm also gonna call some shops about getting my current turbo rebuilt.