HybridZ

1st post as a new owner of a 1977 280Z!

Guest Choppafella

Guest Choppafella

So I bought a 280z today for only 300 bux! It just needs a new alternator (which came with it) and new fuels lines which also came with it. The car is in okay condition, Needs a new paint job but the interior has no tears, is very clean. This Z was bought from an acquaintance of my dad and I've driven it before the alternator went bad and its quick! But anyways, this is the 3rd Z car in my family. My dad owns a 1978 280Z and a 1967 Datsun Roadster. Sorry I don't have any pics on it but i'll take some of it today when I replace the alternator. Any advice on the first few upgrades I would want to make?

Guest Choppafella

rust is actually very minimal. I couldn't find a lot. The only this that is a must replacement first are the window seals. leaks a litttle :-/ oh well...

The roadster is a 67 so it's not the super rare roadster ha ha!

What mods do you guys recommend to start off with?

rust is actually very minimal. I couldn't find a lot. The only this that is a must replacement first are the window seals. leaks a litttle :-/ oh well...

The roadster is a 67 so it's not the super rare roadster ha ha!

What mods do you guys recommend to start off with?

if it was me, and car had factory suspension then first thing I would do besides rust repair would be to get new springs and shocks! I drove a 260z with worn out factory suspension and the experience was terrible. Good suspension makes the car so much fun. F and R swaybars help too

if it was me, and car had factory suspension then first thing I would do besides rust repair would be to get new springs and shocks! I drove a 260z with worn out factory suspension and the experience was terrible. Good suspension makes the car so much fun. F and R swaybars help too

Tell me about it... My 75' is about as worn and beaten as they get. The car wanders with every ripple in the pavement, jumps at every bump, tires scrub in the right condition, and the road noise is pretty high.

I can't afford even eibach's + tokicos right now, so I'm gonna replace all the bushings for now, possibly do the tokicos in a few months.

But I can definately say, don't worry about spending a ton of money on "power upgrades", because they simply won't get you anything worth your time. Work of fixing the little issues, then put money into the suspension. By the time you're trough with all that you should know if more than double the stock HP is going to cut it. If not, then you'll want to figure out what engine you want to put in there.

Tell me about it... My 75' is about as worn and beaten as they get. The car wanders with every ripple in the pavement, jumps at every bump, tires scrub in the right condition, and the road noise is pretty high.

I can't afford even eibach's + tokicos right now, so I'm gonna replace all the bushings for now, possibly do the tokicos in a few months.

heh, my car wanders and jumps, but thats mostly because of a really stiff suspension setup. (and I think a wheel that isn't balanced after I dented it...)

heh, my car wanders and jumps, but thats mostly because of a really stiff suspension setup. (and I think a wheel that isn't balanced after I dented it...)

haha i remember my first Z that thing was solid as a mother... jeez.

The second one had slightly softer setup but big sways. Makes the car a thrill even with lower HP if the suspension doesn't scare you to death being worn to hell

Guest Choppafella

this car runs good so I don't think I'm gonna do a lot of bolt ons right now besides some headers, exhaust (any suggestions?) i was thinking about a magnaflow, cold air intake (k&n). Those will probably be on before the suspension cause my dads a muffler man ha ha.

As far as suspension I was just thinking some new shocks and struts?

this car runs good so I don't think I'm gonna do a lot of bolt ons right now besides some headers, exhaust (any suggestions?) i was thinking about a magnaflow, cold air intake (k&n). Those will probably be on before the suspension cause my dads a muffler man ha ha.

As far as suspension I was just thinking some new shocks and struts?

grab some sway bars while ur at it. You'll be happy!