HybridZ

Megasquirt/Holset economy MAP

rvandivort

Hi! want to see any MAPs that work with 87 octane gas. Mario said He used Moby`s version. I can`t download His format on My excruciatingly slow dial up and because of the zip format(wide band coming in July..Yess!) Anyway ,with gas prices going up (closing in on 4$ a gallon for super),I want to preserve the original mileage I got with My 76 280z 2+2 way back when.. 28--32mpg hwy. I have a 5 spd now,so that should help. I have an 81let w/standard turbo injectors,hy35w and ms11. Any help would be appreciated--and thank you for this forum! Roger

The only way you will get close to the mileage of your stock NA L28, is with your right foot. Keeping manifold pressure below atmospheric will get you close. As soon as you start running boost your AFRs will be in the 12:1 area (if tuned properly).

Ohh, that is sooo condescending. I have spent many many hours going through all the posts--I may have missed a few in the process(obviously I missed a few). Anyway, thanks for the link. My positive comments-toward You-- are at the end of the link. I think this is an important issue at this point given the price of gas. Thanks again for your help. Roger

Can We just get away from the "newbie" thing and just answer questions? I bought My Z in 1976.I don`t want to hear stuff from some newcomers saying I`m a "newbie". I`ve been around for a while!

Accurate information is the goal here. Let`s go there. The "hazing" thing is getting a bit old. If there is a thread that is relevent--tell them where to go!! Stop doing this game. I totally appreciate all those who are cool, and have helped Me. Roger

If you are worried about getting the best gas mileage you will not want to use anyone elses MAP, it just doesn't make sense. You will want to buy a wideband for $200 (LC-1) and connect it to megasquirt. Then run closed loop mode all the time using target AFR tables(from idle to WOT). You can then adjust the target AFR tables to be as lean as you want to run, risking harm to your engine.

I run this way on my turbo Talon and I get 27mpg driving to work with a few 18psi bursts each day. I haven't made a road trip with it recently but it will go over 30mpg on the highway with no problem.

Can We just get away from the "newbie" thing and just answer questions? I bought My Z in 1976.I don`t want to hear stuff from some newcomers saying I`m a "newbie". I`ve been around for a while!

Accurate information is the goal here. Let`s go there. The "hazing" thing is getting a bit old. If there is a thread that is relevent--tell them where to go!! Stop doing this game. I totally appreciate all those who are cool, and have helped Me. Roger

Ok, roger, I don't think being around here for 5 months qualifies you as "been around for a while". Just because you have a z doesn't make you an "ol' timer". Secondly Moby punctuated the line with "ha ha ha" so clearly it was a joke. Thirdly, have you read the rules like this one.

12. Don't make personal attacks if someone disagrees with you, and don't take advice given personally. Typed text has no intonation, or expression and the members on this board sometimes come off as being rude, or impolite. Generally this is not the case, so please be a little thick skinned when advice is given that you may not agree with.

Your post was clearly something that you should have written in a PM. Moby has given you sound advice, whether you take it or not is up to you. However with your response you might find that others, including moby, may not help you next time you ask a question.

Any time any member can find what your asking for by searching, expect to get some flak at the very least and your thread tool shedded for "lack of using the search function".

Hi Moby! Like your approach,but I thought having a basic MAP would be a good place to start. Thanks for your previous help on this. I overreacted based on My earlier experience here--I apologize! You have helped--a lot! Still, I wonder about the wide band thing--and if I need it. I have down loaded Metros stuff--are You saying it`s irrelevant?

I think you have to have the wideband sensor and run in closed loop all the time to get the best economy. You also have to have your MAP tuned close enough that the wideband correction is not having to make a lot of adjustments. Ideally the map would be tuned tuned very good for economy and the the target AFR table would be very close to what the MAP does also for economy, then when there are any changes in environment the closed loop correction will quickly keep you at the AFR you originally wanted for gas mileage (like 15.5:1 for example at cruising).

Another thing is to make sure your overrun settings are working so that anytime you are coasting downhill or into stoplights the injectors are completey off.

I use both of these methods to get good mileage on my car. If you can't buy a wideband sensor you should at least tune the car with one so you know that you are not wasting gas anywhere on the MAP(VE table). Maybe you can find someone locally that has one or go to a dyno.

Thanks Moby! I think I`ll just shut up for a while. My Z still has snow to the windows (We had 150% snow level here). It is covered-hopefully the POR-15 has done it`s job. But,on the other hand-I get the more advanced O2 sensor?...and then msII takes care of it--and go wide band. What O2 sensor do You recommend?

I basically used the defaults for overrun settings.

rpm greater than: 1700

and KPA lower than: 20

and TPS lower than: ***

and coolant greater than: 60

after sec: 0

*** you need to open the calibrate TPS window and get the raw count when your throttle pedal is completely closed. Then add ~3 to that value and enter it into the TPS section, so it won't cut fuel until you are virutally off the gas pedal. Every car will be different for the TPS raw count because it depends on where your throttle position sensor got installed. Mine was setting at 20 when I am off the pedal, so I entered 25. This saves a lot of gas for me.

As far as a wideband I just use the LC-1 type on all my cars.

Thank You Moby! It may help others as dumb as I am to go to the Megasquirt info site. I have been there many hours before-- but realized after going through it, You have to go through the whole thing. The sensor site is very important. Thanks again! Roger