HybridZ

Raydot mirrors

capt_furious

Anyone ever tried a set of these? My only concern is that the base might be a bit too wide and flat to fit on the 'sill' part of the body where the mirrors mount.

machinemirror1_small.jpg

The aluminum ones should be very light, and could be painted or polished and clearcoated. The chrome ones are steel.

I wanted Talbots (and can get some decent quality copies at $30 each), but heard of issues people were having mounting, adjusting and seeing out of them. The stock holes are too far back along the door. The Talbots aren't very adjustable once they're mounted, and combined with the mounting position, they're somewhat useless. They also look awkward that far back.

I neglected to have the stock holes welded up when I had the car painted, otherwise I'd have bought and mounted a set of Talbot copies already.

I'm considering the Raydots because they're very light and are available with convex glass, and highly adjustable. I can get them at the same price as the Talbot copies, but have the real item instead of a knockoff. If I get the aluminum versions, I can paint them if I want, or polish them. I'm still going back and forth on matching the aluminum 'duck' spoiler I want to build with the tail panel on my car. I know I want to eventually paint a set of 5 or 6-spoked wheels the same graphite color as the car's tail panel, and possibly mount FG bumpers and match them.

It's all about options...with a stress on function, of course. :D

The Gone in 60 Seconds remake 'Eleanor' had Raydots, and the beltline cross-section on the '68 Mustang seems similar to a Z. They're actually a bit smaller than they look in photos by themselves.

Brainstorming...if the base of the mirror isn't excessively wide and the only issue I have is with the concave curve on the door's sheet metal, a really thick rubber washer might work to fill the resultant gap. The useful width on the Z's beltline is 1 1/4".

1967%20ford%20mustang%20eleanor%20f.JPG

Wish I could see the base in this shot...

173_0312_6z+1967_Ford_Mustang_GT500+Side_Mirror.jpg

I was going to post about these Raydot mirrors vs. the Talbot mirrors today, haha what are the odds?? The main reason I was going to go with the raydots was the price but Capt_Furious would you mind sharing where I can get the Talbot copies for 30.00 dollars? That would be great! And is there anyone who has the Talbots that could further confirm the mounting/vision problems? I think either of the mirrors would look great on the S30 regardless though.

Sick minds think alike!

I found them at Finish Line Accessories. Pretty decent prices for stuff as high end / exclusive as Cobra parts...they've got a deal on side louvers going right now, as well...I was thinking of using those for hood vents somehow, I'm just not sure how I'd mount them. The thought of cutting holes in a freshly painted hood is a bit daunting.

I'd like to hear a bit more confirmation on what I've heard so far about the usefulness of Talbots on a Z, as well.

So far what I've come across on Raydots - with exception to applications on Cobras themselves, due to the mounting locations - indicates that they're useful and pretty resistant to vibration.

Thanks for the link!

I read every thread that even mentioned talbot in the forums and there isn't a definitive answer to the vibration problem with the talbots. The general idea I got was that the mirrors were ok as long as the adjustment was locked on the mirrors.

And by the way I think the side louvers Finish Line Products has inserted into the hood would look sweet! It would give it cool custom look for sure. And I kinda know how you feel about the point of no return cutting up the hood, I'm sectioning my struts for my coilover set up and am a bit nervous,..measure 3 times, cross fingers and cut. Any out there with the talbot copies that would like to enlighten us if there is a vibration/mounting problem?

Raydots Rock! I used to put them on AC Cobra replicas if the customer wanted a racier look. We also used Talbots, but true, they are hard to adjust. The only problem with Raydots is that they can come loose and then you have to take your door panel off and tighten. We started using nylock nuts when we discovered this. Lock-tite would work too.

I'll be making that decision on my Z soon too.

I have a set of Talbot copies on my 280Z, and for the most part they are pretty much useless. They sit a little too low using the stock mounting holes. I can only see half of the mirror on the passenger side. The driver side mirror gives me a really good view of the road about 10 feet behind the car. The adjustment range doesn't allow it to see any higher. I'll probably end up scrapping them for some Raydots, perhaps modified to mount on the front fenders.

I'll take the plunge first on a set of Raydots. I know I said I'd get one to begin with, but I'd rather not pay shipping twice and there's a 10% discount if you order two of the spun aluminum examples. I can return them if anything goes wrong, hopefully. A little searching on Finish Line and its owner, Enzo Alibrandi, brought up nothing negative. What I found were indicators that he's in the business for the love of it and the company is well known in the Cobra replica world. Both good signs.

I'll do a writeup on the installation with photos.

Anyone want to try a set of Talbots, despite the negatives? I'm fairly certain the viewing angle issue might be solved by moving them father forward on the door, and ordering them with convex glass.

I PMed Ulises with the amazing red, LS2 powered S30 with talbot mirrors to get his input. And capt_furious I will be anxiously awaiting that raydot write up because I don't think I can go with the Talbots, read what I sent to Ulises below. And by the way Ulises mounted his talbots farther forward as you mentioned. I don't think we went with the convex mirrors though, that might help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruiZZZin 78

Hey Ulises, love your z, stunning is an understatement.

I was wondering if you were happy with your talbot mirrors and if they mounted properly and also if you have good vision out of them. Have you had any lack of adjustably or bad vision with these mirrors? I have been told by some members that they are useless, is this true? If not, I was wondering if you could give me a couple pointers on how to get mine to avoid the bad vision/vibration. You would be helping me and many others with your reply, I know many members who need help here. Thanks for your time.

P.S. I have welded up the original mirror mounting holes so I have a little mounting freedom also I will be using the Talbot copies.

Ulises reply: I have to agree with the other Members, This mirrors are just for looks. I have been a Z owner long enough were I don"t need them...originals were useless so I did not mind....

Thank you!!

Agreed, mirrors should be as line-of-sight with the road as possible without placing them too far away. The location on the Black Beauty looks neat, though.

I find myself really wishing I'd had the mirror holes on my driver door welded up before I had the car painted, because the stock location is pretty far out of the line of sight. It's amazing just how much of a difference a few inches forward or back makes.

I've been driving without any side mirrors for about 6 months now, and the center mirror is almost useless due to the incredibly crappy tint on my rear window. For the first few weeks of driving this way, I was really paranoid. My habit of checking my mirrors didn't go away and I found myself looking at blank space where my driver's side mirror used to be. I've become quite adept at being situationally aware and glancing over my shoulder.

The Raydots have shipped, and I'll try to get them on in the next week.

Watch this space!

Absolutely. I just went to get a haircut and a guy in a pickup nearly wiped me out on the freeway when he pulled into my lane without signaling or clearing his blindspot. Just started coming over...if I didn't have a sixth sense about other people's behavior and see it coming, I'd be getting picked out of the center divide by the CHP right now. Even with my horn blaring, lights flashing and swerving out of his way, he didn't even acknowledge my existence.

CHECK OVER YOUR SHOULDER! Mirrors are not a substitute!:fmad:

Wow close call..I'm glad you avoided that a$$hole, I love the way your z is turning out. That would have been devastating. I think the black beauty mirrors are def to low and they need to be where the originals were but farther forward. Good luck with the Raydot install. Look forward to seeing your progress, they should look really sweet!

They're here! I was charged $13 in S&H that wasn't on any of the electronic invoices. I suppose it was silly to think I got free shipping. Bummer. Cost for each after shipping still works out to $35.50, though, so that's not too bad.

They're smaller than I expected. I went out to the car and did a quick fit check, the bases will perch on the beltline, the convex nature of the beltline is going to take a little gasket-making voodoo, but shouldn't be too much of an issue. The convex glass opens up the field of view nicely. Visibility looks fair, not fantastic, but useful. I'm used to not having external mirrors, so I'm in the habit of checking over my shoulder anyway and would do it regardless.

They're going on this weekend. Stay tuned for a writeup!