HybridZ

Broke my Transmission

Dragonfly

Some of the things I learned about thread locking:

1. Thread locking liquids do not work well with plated fasteners. Plain steel or black oxide coatings work best with thread lockers.

2. Safety wire just keeps the fasterner from flalling out and it will not hold torque because the wire stretches. The part will eventually fail due to the loss of fastener torque. For those lazy fabricators/racers, safety wire is dangerous: due to the hassel of removing and replacing safety wire, fasteners are not checked for proper torque during a routine "nut and bolt" on the car.

3. Vibration is the the number one cause of fasteners losing torque (other then improper tightening). Reducing the vibration a fastener is exposed to will increase its ablility to hold torque. Suprisingly, hardened washers are an effective tool in reducing the vibration a fastener "sees".

4. There are many mechanical thread locking washers. One of the most effective ones is called the Nord Lock or Wedge Lock washer. It uses tension instead of friction and is effective in high vibration environments. I've used these on my old 240Z after I solidly mounted the engine, trans, and differential. They stopped parts from falling off the car after Loctite failed.

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/nord-lock-ab/self-locking-washer-20598-138527.html

Very cool setup John, thought I would post a link so others would see what a wedge lock setup looks like.

I had flywheels bolts backing out under high rpm on a 3 liter stroker, the problem was caused by crankshaft harmonics at over 6k rpm. The problem was solved using a NISMO comp dampner. Currently a ATI dampner is used on my current 3 liter , the ATI unit was a PITA to setup on a street car as there are easier and cheaper to live with dampners.

The quickest and most logical fix for this problem is a locking tab strap. Basically, it is a rectangular length of sheet metal drilled at either end for the bolts. It installs between two adjoining bolts. Once the bolts are torqured the ends are bent up against two flats of the bolt head. This prevents the bolts from backing out. Very effective and easy to fabricate.