HybridZ

wow fel-pro + boost = BAD

twistex

• Administrators
So...should I or should I not be using this head gasket while putting together my turbo swap?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBTOX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140185863030&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

If the engine is stock and you don’t alter the fuel or timing, that standard head gasket “should” be just fine and hold up under “normal” combustion, but if any abnormal combustion, i.e. detonation arises, like I said earlier;

If there is any abnormal combustion, I don’t care what gasket is being used, all bets are off for the gasket maintaining its seal between the head and block.

I do advocate the use of metal head gaskets in boosted L-series, IF the engine/your tune, has proven itself to withstand that boost level with no issues, but only if there are no issues. The standard head gaskets are a nice early warning indicator that something still needs attention if it blows, i.e. detonation is present….

In asking a question like that in the first place, if your plan is to run other than stock boost, or you are installing an aftermarket EMS and going to tune it yourself, search and read, SEARCH and READ, then search and read some more on what it takes to keep the head gasket from popping before you turn your first wrench, i.e. fueling requirements, timing requirements etc for a given boost level and that the parts you intend to use are up to the task, fuel pump, injectors, ignition system, etc.

A borrowed and altered aviation quote fits well here;

Boosting an L-series is not in itself inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than N/A, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Good luck,

Paul

I believe most people just allow more air through with the throttle plate angle adjustment screw and rotate the TPS sensor accordingly.

see i had already thought about that. Then when you are at wot your tps voltage will not read as high from what i have noticed. Wouldn't that cause an issue ?

well i found out some bad news. I ran the part number on the side of his "420cc bosch" injectors. 0 280 150 036 !!!! well those are actually 380cc injectors. Well he has the jwt 420cc cobra maf package! I'm guessing he bought the wrong injectors or were sent the wrong ones. being 40cc of make a huge difference ? When I get it all back up and running im going to set timing, base fuel pressure at 36psi and for every psi of boost 1 psi fuel pressure. Obviously I need to get some 420cc injectors in mean while. I was thinking the 430cc supra injectors but I believe you need a custom rail for those. :(

• Administrators
Brapp

Just for the record I wasnt bashing the head gasket...

Stony,

It's all good...

I interpreted your post as a question of using a paper gasket in general in a turbo engine regardless of the manufacturer, which is a good question. Generally, the metal gasket is the preferred choice for turbo cars, so long as everything is up to snuff. wink.gif

Take care,

Paul