HybridZ

Just ordered my LS1 JCI kit

Sent in my check for my LS1 JCI engine/trans mounts. Just got a call from JCI. Said he needed my VIN #. Anyone know why he needs this before he sends out the kit? No biggie, really just curious!!

Maybe he's just trying to keep tabs on what cars his stuff has been put on?

Yeah, he asked me about the trans crossmember too... if the bolts were parallel or perpendicular to the ground. Pretty sure mine were parallel (a '73 240). Not 100% sure though so i'll be running home this afternoon and double checking.

Finally making some decent progress on my project. Car is stripped and ready for minor body work/paint. I'll be sandblasting/painting/reassembling the front end this spring. Body work this summer, and tearing down the rear end/building support for below deck fuel cell and battery. Plenty to keep me busy this summer!

and..... still trying to figure out how to fund the purchase of the drivetrain!!!!

I'll try to post some pics here soon of my progress.

I've been snooping around here for a couple years now. Really appreciate everyones help so far!

John at JCI is very detail oriented and has been burned a couple times by all the variants in the 1st generation Z bodies. This is the way he'll be more confident of getting you the right parts. If not, you'd be getting what he designed using my '77 280Z which wouldn't be fully compatible with a 240.

• 1 year later...
Hi may I ask how much the JCI kit costs for the LS1? I have a 77' 280 and I really want to do an LS1 but I need to know how much this kit is in order to calculate my budget

Depends on several factors....

What is your end goal? Are you just planning on a engine/trans swap?

this could prob be done for anywhere between about $5-7K.

What kind of condition is your car in now? Need to repair some rust and do body work as well?

My project has included some pretty extensive body moifications. I've estimated between $8-10K to FINISH my project (not including what I already have into it).

Set a goal and stick with it. If you just want to swap in the LS1 then don't get bit by the "might as well" bug. Take time to plan and do what you can to keep from deviating. I've come to terms with the fact that my project is years away from being completed. I'm taking my time and making sure that i'm enjoying it; otherwise, what's the point in continuing with it??

Good luck!... and get ready to blow some cash!!!!

How much do you want to spend?

http://www.brokenkitty.com/zcar/order-sheet.htm

:)

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I will probably spend the minimum that I can.

Depends on several factors....

What is your end goal? Are you just planning on a engine/trans swap?

this could prob be done for anywhere between about $5-7K.

What kind of condition is your car in now? Need to repair some rust and do body work as well?

My project has included some pretty extensive body moifications. I've estimated between $8-10K to FINISH my project (not including what I already have into it).

Set a goal and stick with it. If you just want to swap in the LS1 then don't get bit by the "might as well" bug. Take time to plan and do what you can to keep from deviating. I've come to terms with the fact that my project is years away from being completed. I'm taking my time and making sure that i'm enjoying it; otherwise, what's the point in continuing with it??

Good luck!... and get ready to blow some cash!!!!

Well, I bought the car on Friday for $100 with the title. It has rust in the floor pans, the rear driver's side quarter, and in a couple of other little bubble places. Over all, it was a killer deal for $100 it's not in too bad of shape. I want the price basically just to get the motor/tranny into the car running and driving reliably. The rest I can account for. The LS1 price I know will depend on what shape it is in and where I get it from. I want to find the cheapest motor and tranny that I can hopefully around $1500 for both and the computer. Right now it has the L28 and 4spd pulled out and it is stripped but I have all the parts. It is ready for the body work to be done, which my father and I will be doing on our own for experience and to save cash. Then I have an 8.8" rearend ready for install from an 06 Mustang GT which was going to go into my 07' 4.0L Mustang but I have decided that I will try to get it customized to fit into the 280. Not sure how this will work yet..will get it narrowed and tub out the rear end and get the rear suspension custom done. I want this car to just be something to have fun in,get some track time in on the weekends, learn on and perfect over time. I want to put an LS1 in, but I do not have the money right now and I am just trying to see what I will be in for as far as saving up for the swap. I would probably do a painless wiring system with an LS1/T56 that I find maybe from a wrecked car or junkyard. I have been surfing hybridz.org a lot since I got it and I have found out some very helpful information. Here are pictures of my car as it sits right now. It is a project definately, but it is also very buildable and shouldnt take too much to get it back on the road. Thanks guys

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg