HybridZ

any shop near san diego reccomed for a swap

german903

I am having a 73 240z with origional engine 280z 5 speed trans and a LSD

I would like to swap it into a rb26dett with a re25 trans

I talked to a couple shop but either can't really trust them or charging me $5,000 for labor.

does anyone know any shop near by san deigo that would be able to do it with trust and in a reasonable price.

I am budget is around $10,000 for the whold project is it too little or too much?

Thanks a lot for the help

There is no way that you can get the whole swap done by a shop for 10 grand. The shop up here would charge around 18 for the whole thing. Your best bet is to do it yourself but with your budget its still tight. McKinney Motor sports sells all the stuff you need to do it with limited mechanical knowledge. Check out their website and do some adding and see if you can do it on that budget and if you can't then maybe step down to an rb25.

$10k is about good to buy the engine and everything you need inside the engine bay to put it in and start it. You would have nothing left to pay for labor. And when you are done with that you will find out you need about another 10k for suspension, breaks, differential upgrade, and many other things that come up, unless you have all that taken care of already.

thanks guys for tell me more about it. Since I can't come up another 10,000 in a short time would you guys think that the sr20det will be in my budget? or if there are any shop that I could finance it? (I pay 10,000 and finance the rest amount with them holding my title or put them as a lean holder)

But do you guys have more detail info about those 2 engine? like the weight with transmission on it and the horsepower (stock) and the torque range. that will be very helpful for me to make the decision about rb26dett or sr20det.

You can search exact numbers by yourself (I mean it in a good way). But all you need to know is that the RB26 is heavier and can make more power than you need. The SR20 is lighter and can make all the power you need. I think for a DD the SR20 would be nicer, and closer to your budget. I would talk to McKinney about buying some parts, and maybe to some local shops about doing some other things, so it's easier for you. Spend the time doing your research before starting it. I hope you get the swap done.

thanks guys for tell me more about it. Since I can't come up another 10,000 in a short time would you guys think that the sr20det will be in my budget? or if there are any shop that I could finance it? (I pay 10,000 and finance the rest amount with them holding my title or put them as a lean holder)

But do you guys have more detail info about those 2 engine? like the weight with transmission on it and the horsepower (stock) and the torque range. that will be very helpful for me to make the decision about rb26dett or sr20det.

Since you are on a budget and sounds like you don't really have a preference for which motor I suggest you go with L28ET. This will all bolt in and reduce your motor swap cost dramatically. It will fall in your budget and still be a wonderful upgrade from the original motor. Read up and see what you think.

Good luck,

If I already had a reliable l28et in the car I would have spent the 10k on a year's worth of fun upgrades while I partially drove it and got to experience the metamorphosis first hand. That's how you really enjoy the money you throw at it. Otherwise it's just 10k on a nice car that you bought as is and will slowly inevitably get bored of.