HybridZ

What is going to go wrong next.....cam destroyed

ktm

The latest event in my saga is my cam bit the dust. I have a P90a that was rebuilt back in November 2007 when I saw that I was losing coolant....that and when I did a compression test I had a geyser shooting out of cylinder #3.

Anyway, recently I noticed a tapping coming from under the valve cover. When the head was fresh, it was SILENT. This tapping was rather obvious, not your normal lifter tick.

When I removed the valve cover, the #3 cylinder (what is it with that cylinder) intake lobe was badly worn - there was a GROOVE in the lobe base circle! I checked the lifter to see if it had collapsed and upon touching it, found that the lifter had backed out! When it backed out, it lost oil pressure and did indeed "collapse".

The lifter appears ok and I took the cam, lifter and rocker back to the machine shop after talking to them. They inspected the lifter and agreed that it should not have backed out. The rocker is gone too as it has a groove worn in it as well.

In the end they are replacing the rocker and cam shaft, but this is yet another trial.

Mark, they probably did not torque it to spec. The lifter simply threads into the head and it torqued like a bolt. The threads look fine and the lifter turns easily when threading it into the head.

Ah well, I should have the new cam and rocker by Wednesday.

• Administrators
sorry to hear that bo.

btw did u ever get the front end fixed?

Aziza,

You need to start posting with proper English. This is the third time I've made mention of this to you. Please read BOTH of these threads below, and when posting here on HybridZ in the future, lose the IM texting. I will not be mentioning this to you or asking any more.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=131518

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115824

Paul Ruschman

HybridZ staff