HybridZ

5 speed popping out of gear

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok guys, i picked up a 79 280ZX yesterday to do my turbo ZX swap into and its running ok, but it pops out of 5th gear if you suddenly let off the gas. it only does it when the tranny is asked to suddenly slow the car down. its happening most often in 5th gear, but it has also accurd in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. is this just a simple misadjustment on the linkage which is causing this to happen? it shift smoothly, does not grind at all, and the clutch feels nice and smooth. any ideas what would be causing this????

Guest Anonymous

Just for clarity sake for those who havn't seen the inside of a manual box, heres a Ford gearbox that shows the synchros. The synchros in effect slow the shaft down when the shift forks start to move to try and match the output shaft speed and allow smoother engagement and then lock the two shafts causing a different routing of the power path to produce a different ratio. For those that know and have seen this,sorry but thought some might like to see it:

Lone

Ps: The point to all this is if the syncro doesn't keep the shaft locked all the way, when it gets worn, it pops out and you find yourself in neutral.

topldr2.jpg

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited January 26, 2001).]

Guest Anonymous

well, i appreciate everyones help, but things just got extremely bad today. the clutch started to slip EXTREMELY bad. it started without any warning so i'm thinkin it might be the clutch, it might not. but regardless, i have decided to save up for a few weeks and get a very nice 5 speed and a new clutch at the same time. anyone looking to sell a good tranny in the next few weeks?!?! smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

so i'm thinkin it might be the clutch, it might not.

David,

FYI: Chances are you have multiple prob's w/that trans. A slipping clutch would not cause the trans to kick the shifter out of its gear. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news: you have bad synchro's & a slipping clutch.

Good luck in your search for another trans. You're in Dallas...dont forget to scour over the Parts Sections of the Auto Traders; they are always an excellant source for Ford and Camaro/Firebird transmissions.

If its a nissan trans you are talking about this is the problem. There are plugs in the center of the trans underneath with ball bearings that are held in place by springs. This detent ball holds the trans in gear. If you replace the springs it should cure your problem, if im making no sense just email and ill try to whip up a long drawn out explanation of a simple problem. ( i get wordy sometimes LOL)

Evan