HybridZ

MY computer CRASHED HELP!!

i just removed the sound blaster card and ram and disconneted the hard drive and just connected the harddrive back is still a no GO. There is no beeps or nothing appearing on the screen. Can I just go buy a Hard drive and conneted and insert the recovery disk and start all over. My other old ass computer just took a crap also. Im using my lil bros computer right now.

well, let's put it this way.

If you pull EVERYTHING out except the CPU, and you STILL don't get any beeping, then your cpu/motherboard is toast, and you're SOL and due for a new computer. Don't worry, you can build a halfway decent cheap system for under 500 if you know what parts to buy and how to put it together.

What happened with your other system? Maybe we can fix that one, since the first busted one seems to be a basket case.

If you've pulled just about everything in your computer, chances are a capacitor or a regulation circuit bit the biscuit.

Don't bother buying anything for it. A computer will give you an audible or visible warning if there is something wrong with it regarding data storage or any other device, except the CPU.

Perhaps the northbridge or southbridge chipsets are fried on the Motherboard.

To be completely honest with you, this is where I tell my clients its time for a new computer.

My sisters comp had the same prob awhile ago. The comp would turn on and run, but nothing would show up on the screen. Turns out we had a bad electrical strip and a surge happened to fry the motherboard. Dont know how to diagnose that, sorry, but good luck.

Its funny how motherboard companies silently started to put inline fuses into certain devices on the motherboards, like ethernet ports.

My brother's computer was hooked up to our router, which was hooked up to our modem for our cable hi-speed.

One day, a brown-out blew up my brother's speaker control unit for his surround system (replaced entire system for free! thanks logitech!), and it blasted the modem with a jolt that then went through the ethernet cable, fried the router, and passed itself onto the computer.

It fried the ethernet port, and that was the only thing on that computer that would NEVER work.

had it been a motherboard from a year or two earlier, it would have probably set the motherboard ablaze.

:icon53:

If you've pulled just about everything in your computer, chances are a capacitor or a regulation circuit bit the biscuit.

Don't bother buying anything for it. A computer will give you an audible or visible warning if there is something wrong with it regarding data storage or any other device, except the CPU.

Perhaps the northbridge or southbridge chipsets are fried on the Motherboard.

To be completely honest with you, this is where I tell my clients its time for a new computer.

Yeah, pretty much.

My dad's PSU blew out a voltage regulator on the 3.3v rail, causing it to hit spikes of over 7v. the CPU was an OLD socket A Athlon chip, so their regulators are built onto the motherboard. Well, the memory was fine (Actually I have it in my system now) but the cpu and motherboard were trashed. it got so bad that for some reason, if you simply rebooted the computer a few times, the windows OS would become corrupt and no longer boot. (but if you kept it on all the time it would keep working, weird eh?) I decided to basically scrap it and build him a decent socket 754 2ghz sempron system (which was way better than the old setup)

Computers are pretty sensitive to voltage spikes. I wonder if it's possible that his PSU is failing and blew out the regulator circuits.

I learned something interesting on my computer though. if the CPU fan isn't plugged in all the way, it shorts out a circuit, causing a tiny resistor to glow red hot. It happened when I first put it together. that was a bit over a year ago. I'm going to guess it was the fan controller circuit since it never throttles the fan down like it's supposed to.

sorry for the rambling.

Anyways, your computer is toast, it's time to give it the ol' heave ho and build yourself a new rig.

well today I called the person that fixes my computers and told my little problem well he told me that the motherboard is what is at fault. Since there is no beeps or no video on the screen and the fan on the motherboard is going really fast. He also told me I can go take it to a best buy or something to have it diagnose and they can order an original motherboard from emachines. which is going to cost to much plus the labor. I asked him about a upgrade on the motherboard but he told me that I had to buy new software to go with it since i just can used the recovery disk on the new motherboard. So I said screw it I went to best buy got me a new computer. Even though I had the other computer for less than 2 years before it took a crap on me.

I purchased a GT5670 gateway computer

processor AMD phenom prosessor 8400 triple core

operates at 2.1GHz, 2MB L3 cache, 3600GHz system bus

memory 3GB DDR2 Dual-channel

video NVIDIA GeForce 6150se

hard drive 320GB

DVD/RW with labelflash

audio 8 channel(7.1) high definition

with 15 in 1 digital memory card reader with smart copy

windows vista home premium with sp1 and AMD live.

what do you guys think. Total cost was $590

If you need a new motherboard then you should be able to get one for less than $590. It isn't all that hard to replace computer parts. If you get your stock motherboard and replace it with the same kind then you should be able to swap most of the stuff over for the most part. Go to http://www.newegg.com They have hardware for sale for pretty cheap.

Hope this helps. It might still be smart just to upgrade the computer. I personally like MAC and Alienware as far as pre-built goes.

Your phenom has a math problem. I hope you didn't get a chip with the arithmetic logic error.

why did you buy a computer from best-buy??

you should go to your local computer parts store and become friends with the owner. get to know his name for all of 10 minutes. ask him where they're from, if it's their first store. how he got into the whole computer trade. offer him a service. share a laugh or two about a blue-screen of death or how steve balmer sweats a lot when he talks about Microsoft products

then when you've got your new system back at home, call him and thank him, but tell him you may need more ram. then in a week, call him back, thank him again, and tell him it's ok, you don't need ram just yet.

If you can do that... you would have had parts support for as long as he remembers your face or voice.

take my advice: TAKE IT BACK

Another thing, wickiewickied240z.

you have a car, you work on it. why not just build your own computer? for 650 bucks you could not only have a computer that will be better than the one you bought by a long shot, but you may get a uninterruptable power supply/surge protection unit, a nice case, NAME BRANDS; not bargain bin or proprietary stuff, and it will last longer because the parts are easier to swap in and out because again.... name brands/retail parts market, not retail system rebadging market like bestbuy or whatever.

thing about what you've done!

I learned something interesting on my computer though. if the CPU fan isn't plugged in all the way, it shorts out a circuit, causing a tiny resistor to glow red hot. It happened when I first put it together. that was a bit over a year ago. I'm going to guess it was the fan controller circuit since it never throttles the fan down like it's supposed to.

actually, what you blew was the PWM Circuit (pulse width modulation) circuit. It sends a square wave 12+ signal in various frequencies in order to modulate the speed of the fan.

running a fan at 12-0-12-0-12-0-12 volts in 4 seconds moves more air than running a fan at 3 volts for the same 4 seconds, and consumes pretty much the same power.

What happened was your fan pulled too many amps for the PWM circuit to modulate. this happened to me too. what you could do is run the power wires to a fan adapter that plugs into a molex connector, and use the signal wire from the PWM circuit (it will still work).

your fan can draw as much as 30Amps (which it will definitely not do if it can fit in your case) from your PSU, and use signal wire to control the square wave. my friend made this modification to his computer.

I personally don't mind the jet engine sound of my computer due to a stuck-HIGH PWM frequency. it alerts me from another room when something is amiss, and it makes me want to shut it off before I go to sleep (all good reasons to make it annoying for me to use.... that gets me outside and working in my garage instead) :D

lol yeah, I know what it blew. The little fan that it has only pulls 1 amp. but like I care really, the FIRST thing I shut off when I put a computer together is AMD's Cool n Quiet because it interfere's with overclocking the system

lol. same here.

and you should install the AMD DualCore drivers. It was a small package someone tweaked to add stability to the system under high-load.

1 amp seems a lot though. a lot of the fans I have are only like 0.29 amps, unless i'm reading it wrong =/

and one of those fans blew my PWM IC :(

Nah, I run an old Socket 754 Single core Newcastle. right now it's overclocked a modest 100mhz from 2.2 to 2.3ghz, but It can go as high as 2.5 without much issues. I just dont' need to have it that high right now since I don't need the extra boost.

as for his phenom, he actually has a manufacture only model that IS a tri-core processor. (weird I know) they actually don't sell them to the public yet, so the only way to get one is by buying a prebuilt system.

I'm currently running an Opteron 165 @ 2.6 ghz (up from 1.8) on 2 gb of value ram. I was running 2.85 but my computer passed all burn-in and stress tests, but I think the power supply isn't up to snuff or something.

Hard to find a good 4gb set of DDR overclocking ram to keep me at 1:1 with 2.8 ghz stable with relatively tight timings.

All this on a GA-K8NXP-SLi, which is not the best overclocker. I think to date, I have the highest Air-overclock on this board, as only 1 other person made the attempt with a Opty 165 @ 2.8 as well.

As for the Phenom having a math problem. I know of the X3 Tri-Cores. The reason I mentioned the math problem is that there were a number of AMD Processors that actually had a glitch. I believe they were the Barcelona processors that were launched in september or early october. Something to look out for, seeing as the price of the computer isn't that bad, and that would mean it is probably from a line up that came out a while back...

something to look out for :cool: