HybridZ

R200 swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok, i just pulled the R200 off of my 78 parts car and i want to install it on my 79 280ZX. are the 2 rear bolts the same on the R180 on the 79 and the R200 on the 78? and will the bolt holes on the front of the R200 match up to the mounting hols of the 79? i know i will have to use the half shafts from the 78, but is there anything else? it appears to be a straight forward swap, but......

Why does the 79ZX have an R180 in it? That sounds really, really odd.

Doesn't the non-turbo ZX typically have a 3.9 R200? And the 78 280Z will have a 3.54 R200. And therefore, with this swap you will be gaining fuel economy, but your off the line will suffer considerably. BTW, you can tell the R180 from the R200 pretty easily. The R200 is much larger and the rear of it looks octagonal, whereas the smaller R180 is rectangular.

Anyway, to try and answer your questions, the bolt holes and such should all match up. But, you should not use the half shafts from the 280Z. They will likely end up being too short (The ZX is has a slightly wider track than the Z). They may work, but they would be sub-optimal. Use the shafts from the ZX.

Guest Anonymous

well, everything i have read says that it is an R180. but even so, i believe the R200 from the 78 does not have the factory gearing in it. and my u-joints aren't exactly in the best of shape. but the u-joints on the R-200 are in good shape.

I think it was the "GL" version of the 280ZX that came with a 3.54 ratio R180. It was the base model 280ZX (manual steering, no air, no power anything... this is all from 8 years ago so my memory might have slipped) and I believe it was the only 280ZX to come with an R180. I remember this because I realized how screwed I was when I pulled out what I thought was going to be an R200, then... suprise!!! "Hmmm... I though the R200 would be a little bigger than the R180..."

Oh, well. I'm more smarter now!

Here's a nice picture (ok, well it's not that nice, but it's still a picture) of an R180 (Left) next to an R200 (Right).

-Andy

200vs180.jpg

David,

Your in Dallas(?)! If you're looking for a custom driveshaft shop; there's one that has been in Dallas for ump-teen years. From I35-e take I30 heading west like your gonna go to Ft.Worth. Almost immediately after you're on I30 look to your right & you should see the main Dallas U.S.Post office; take that exit as if you're gonna go to the post office. Once you're on the service road get in the left lane & go to the Stop Light & take a Left under I30 (basically making a U-turn) & the driveshaft shop is right there on your right.

Its basically on the other side of I30 from the Post Office. I've always found them reasonable; they'll work w/what ever you need & they can balance any custom driveline in their own shop!

I believe they have some crazy name like "The Driveline Shop" or "Driveshaft Shop"....what a silly name!

Guest Anonymous

i think i know the one that you are talking about. my buddy has a custom 3.1L Turbo Cavalier and he got custom half shafts that will(hopefully) withstand about 600hp from them. pretty good stuff and pretty reasonable prices too!

Guest Anonymous

good choice (beefing-up the rear). i did the swap from a zx 2+2 r200 into a 77 280z coupe. the only mod i made was slight grinding to the rear mounting bar (mustashe bar) with a dremel. the rest mounts in, as for the length og the shaft, i have yet to tackle that ask, but i have heard the stock r200 can hold 400+ hp. thats why i did the swap. also check u'r local drivetrain shops, the one in my town build there own custom solid u-joints (better then spicer), and are only $20 installed (each). good luck!

Nic

Guest Anonymous

well, you would probably beat him off the line, and up to about 40mph. but after that, you have to have a seriously built motor to just keep up with him! he has way too much power to get traction in a front wheel drive vehicle. its a silver 91 Cavalier Z24 with a wicked sounding exhaust. it sounds like a cross between a NASCAR and a Ferrari when he gets on it!!

quote:

Originally posted by Kevin Shasteen:

David,

Your in Dallas(?)! If you're looking for a custom driveshaft shop; there's one that has been in Dallas for ump-teen years. From I35-e take I30 heading west like your gonna go to Ft.Worth. Almost immediately after you're on I30 look to your right & you should see the main Dallas U.S.Post office; take that exit as if you're gonna go to the post office. Once you're on the service road get in the left lane & go to the Stop Light & take a Left under I30 (basically making a U-turn) & the driveshaft shop is right there on your right.

Its basically on the other side of I30 from the Post Office. I've always found them reasonable; they'll work w/what ever you need & they can balance any custom driveline in their own shop!

I believe they have some crazy name like "The Driveline Shop" or "Driveshaft Shop"....what a silly name!

Kevin and David,

I had my drive shaft shorten and balanced at the Driveshaft Shop you mention on the southside of I-30 in Dallas. About $90 and less than 24 hours after you drop it off. Have not driven the car yet, know several dirt track racers that swear by their work....