HybridZ

FMIC, Treadstone or Ebay??

Looking to upgrade the FMIC on my l28 (3.1 stroker). I am looking at this Treadstone: http://treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=34&cat_key=63&prodname=TRV25S+Intercooler

but have also seen similar units on Ebay. Is the Treadstone worth twice the money? Has anyone ever compared a Treadstone intercooler with one of the no name ones on Ebay?

Thanks, Bill

You are getting cast alum end tanks with this unit. Most of the ebay I/C's I've seen are home made sheet metal tanks (and most are awefull looking).

Also, the most common size are 3" thick cores. The one linked above is the 3.5" core. Makes a difference...

I think thats a pretty good unit for the price. I ran a Spearco that exact same size on my last L6 turbo stroker.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TURBO-INTERCOOLER-18x6x3-5-W-SAME-SIDE-INLET-AND-OUTLET_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ017QQitemZ270226782112QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

i have this one. not as wide as yours but its still a nice unit. cast endtanks and its bar and plate, nicely welded. no glued seems. im happy with it. havent run it yet but it will be way better than my old intercooler

How much do the Ebay unit flow compare to the treadstone one should be your question . Take the best flowing unit .

I just checked both unit and the ebay one that Jeffer has say they have 0.2 psi pressure drop that is great efficency but i doubt those numbers since treadstone being a well know companie has a 1.5psi drop ... im wondering who say the truth ?

You can get those Treadstone intercoolers on ebay for significantly less than retail. I bought the TRV185 from a seller named Vecco Performance for $200 shipped. The auction does not list the brand name, but you can tell what it is from the photos.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Evan, I have been following Monzter's intercooler CDF testing with great interest, that's why I chose to go with same side in/out FMIC. The Treadstone design is similar to Montzer's modified Spearco. Jeffer, this may sound like a silly question, but how heavy is the one you bought? The reason I ask is, my buddy only uses Spearco's on his race cars and swears by them. The current intercooler on my car is built with a Spearco core, although it is a little too small (that's why I am looking for a bigger one). The Spearco's feel very solid/heavy. He says the Ebay and even the Treadstone units are light and "whimpy". I would love to compare them side by side. Pete S, is the one you have similar to Treadstones, or is it actually a Treadstone, if not what are the differences?

Guest 280ZForce
Looking to upgrade the FMIC on my l28 (3.1 stroker). I am looking at this Treadstone: http://treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=34&cat_key=63&prodname=TRV25S+Intercooler

but have also seen similar units on Ebay. Is the Treadstone worth twice the money? Has anyone ever compared a Treadstone intercooler with one of the no name ones on Ebay?

Thanks, Bill

You do not need one that wide... I run that one on my Z currently, but have pretty high hp goals, I'm sure I'm going to have to modify the end tanks to allow for better flow in the future or get a trv185 to modify or make my own.

It is mounted on my car and I've driven with it just fine.

But I do recommend you either get the trv125 or trv185, one of those will be plenty.

I'm curious if the treadstone ebay intercoolers are real or not. Look at the text in this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRV185-Treadstone-Performance-Intercooler-Honda-Mazda_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ005QQitemZ150233168345QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

"... Intercooler now comes with tabs welded simular to our BMV25 series intercoolers. Intercooler will come with no logo, "Treadstone" logo can be requested in Blue, Black, or Red. "

I've always thought that the Intercooler would come with the raised letters in the tank, not a sticker.

The one I bought about a year ago has the word "treadstone" in raised letters. It appears that it was part of the casting, like the one pictured in the link in the first post.

That's not to say definitively that the ones in that ebay link are fakes. Manufacturing processes can change at any time obviously.

Guest 280ZForce
I'm curious if the treadstone ebay intercoolers are real or not. Look at the text in this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRV185-Treadstone-Performance-Intercooler-Honda-Mazda_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ005QQitemZ150233168345QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

"... Intercooler now comes with tabs welded simular to our BMV25 series intercoolers. Intercooler will come with no logo, "Treadstone" logo can be requested in Blue, Black, or Red. "

I've always thought that the Intercooler would come with the raised letters in the tank, not a sticker.

treadstones have always come with mounting tabs and been pressure tested to 150 psi, they are pulling that info straight off treadstone website.

but the optional lettering crap I say is bs and call it a knock off treadstone.

All treadstone intercoolers come w/ raised lettering on the end tank... plus the raised lettering in the ebay pics is not even the same font/size treadstone uses on their intercoolers.

I say bs that it's a treadstone, just buy directly from treadstone on ebay or via their website.

Respone from Ebay seller. I also called treadstone directly. They are out of Miami, FL.

--------------------------------------------

Hi FB,

Thank you for contacting us. This is a Real Treadstone item. We are the Sole Midwest distributor of Treadstone High Qauilty Products and take this very serious. The reason this item comes with the option of the Treadstone Logo is we have a large amount of request for this style of intercooler to come with out the logo so we do not put the logo on all of the ones that area produce and sell them with out logo's on the front.

If you wish to contact Treadstone Directly and confirm our ability to retail these items please feel free, as we want you to rest assured that you are getting a genuine item and one that is of the highest quailty.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. We look forward to supplying you with your performance products.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

Outer Edge Performance Companies

I find it funny that you guys are worried about knockoff treadstone intercoolers. The treadstones are knockoffs themselves! Nothing special here folks.

That said, I run a chinabay intercooler with good results. I certainly cannot justify paying 600 for something that I will ruin on the street within a few years.

Evan

I did alittle checking and the one I have is rated to 900hp at a pd of 1psi @ 1000cfm. IMO you would want the biggest intercooler you can find. Efficiency is a function of area and it is far worse to have too small a unit rather than one that is too large IMO. Besides that it allows for future hp expansion at a later date.

You do not need one that wide... I run that one on my Z currently, but have pretty high hp goals, I'm sure I'm going to have to modify the end tanks to allow for better flow in the future or get a trv185 to modify or make my own.

It is mounted on my car and I've driven with it just fine.

But I do recommend you either get the trv125 or trv185, one of those will be plenty.

What kind of power are you putting down, I am shooting for 500-525 RWHP, maybe more, I think I would rather have an intercooler that is a little on the big side than not big enough as my power level goes up.

Respone from Ebay seller. I also called treadstone directly. They are out of Miami, FL.

--------------------------------------------

Hi FB,

Thank you for contacting us. This is a Real Treadstone item. We are the Sole Midwest distributor of Treadstone High Qauilty Products and take this very serious. The reason this item comes with the option of the Treadstone Logo is we have a large amount of request for this style of intercooler to come with out the logo so we do not put the logo on all of the ones that area produce and sell them with out logo's on the front.

If you wish to contact Treadstone Directly and confirm our ability to retail these items please feel free, as we want you to rest assured that you are getting a genuine item and one that is of the highest quailty.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. We look forward to supplying you with your performance products.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

Outer Edge Performance Companies

Hey thanks for that, I really appreciate the leg work, I think I will get my Treadstone from that Ebay seller!