HybridZ

Fuel Cell & Fuel Plumbing install W/ pics

EMWHYR0HEN

Myron,

Please don't change the lines because of my question. I was just asking a question, had no technical backup behind the question. I was hoping you or someone on this forum could provide some technical answer with proper backup. Since your car isn't finished yet, I would definitely wait till someone chimed in with a properly backed up answer.

Either way, it looks incredible. Perhaps you could have a fuel cutout switch activated by extreme movement, i.e. crash. I am sure I have seen something like this before. I will search and get back to you.

Even with out a gas gauge I run a 12 gallon on the street and running out of fuel is never a serious issue. At 15 mpg on the freeway (327 t-56) that's quite a few miles between stops.

Myron, Nice fuel cell fab job! If you change your fuel lines are going for inside the tunnel or underneath the floor pan?

Mine is still in the tunnel oem style aluminum 3/8 but I always wonder what is the best or most often used racing solution?

Tunnel/oem safe from road debris but not from an exploding driveline.

Floor pan safer from driveline failures but more exposed to road debris.

Inside the car is no no, but I find it interesting the way you have it ran now its somewhat safer from both these conditions.

Using spec steel line would be safer than typical racer thin aluminum reguardless of the route taken.

(and don't someone go there saying saving weight with aluminum line matters haha, non factor)

Nobody is safe.

I road race with The Midwestern Council of Sports Cars Club, we mimic SCCA rules for the most part. I recently posted on Jon's fuel system thread about the fuel lines going through the cabin and have confirmed, they CAN provided they are of the braided stainless variety only, with AN fittings, NO HARD LINES. This of course is for W2W, I don't know your intentions. My car has this setup and I do agree they're less vulnerable this way, especially for off road excursions, and they will happen, driver error or not...

The rule book also goes on to state is it prefered that all lines and the filler cap all be contained on the top of the cell. With that said, you'd probably pass tech with the bottom fuel feed, but don't quote me on that.

For reference MC's is available online: http://mcscc.org/files/2007%20GCR%20rev%20b.pdf

Outstanding club, for anyone who's interested, shoot me a PM or email.

Thanks for the info Preith. Braided line isn't cheap and for over a 25' length ouch.

You mentioned running braided line inside your cabin. Do the fuel fumes seep through the lines and stink up the cabin? What brand of hose are you using?

Yes the price of AN hardware and hose can be painful! The 16AN stuff for the dry sump tank feed lines really hurt. The majority of hose on the car was purchased from Pegasus, they're only 15 min from my house :) They don't say what brand it is, but it's my guess they source it though Goodridge, the remaining is Aeroquip, none is teflon lined.

Gas fumes are present in the cabin, especially when the car has been sitting for a while, but I find them tolerable, though not for a daily driver of course. I usually have it covered and have always wondered how much of it is a result of the carb bowls evaporating and perhaps the cell vent.

On a side note, Pegasus also sells Goodridge AN fittings for the most part. These have a "cutter" design whereas Aeroquip are a compression type and are much easier to re-use and assemble.

Perhaps you could have a fuel cutout switch activated by extreme movement, i.e. crash. I am sure I have seen something like this before. I will search and get back to you.

I have removed these from Mustang Fox's. It is located behind the rear tail light panel (I think on the inside, but can't remember). They have a switch to reset them too. Probably a good idea to grab one... They have a ball or something inside that deactivates the fuel system when they experience a crash load.

• 1 year later...

the NHRA ruling is that if a fuel line goed through the driver compartment it need to be in a channel, so if you place a aluminum or steel "sealed" channel in there it will be your firewall, also the ruling is with a fuel cell in the cabin you need a firewall between those strut towers.

In case of fire or explosion this gains you a few extra seconds to stay alive.

we just had this issue with my rail dragster, we relocated the fuel cell in front of my feet and brake master cyl, but there is absolutely NO space for lines underneath. So the solution was to run the lines and use pop rivets and sealant on a "u channel" to protect me incase of impact.

even with it that way some racers refuse to get near my car, due to personal prefferance and fear of incident.

But many top fuelers have run forward of driver cells, with in cabin lines, crashed said car and been fine. Good luck! and BEAUTIFUL BUILD