HybridZ

JCI driveshaft w/ stock rear sway bar

Anyone else have fitment issues with the U joint being large and hitting the rear sway bar??? I finally got around to reinstalling my rear sway bar today and noticed when I turned the driveshaft it hit the bar !!! Glad I found out before I took it for a drive :shock:

Maybe an aftermarket one is in order, hehe.

Yep, I had that with my LT1 swap. It only hit when the car was in reverse. I removed the bar, might go with a back mount one later but right now the handling is fine without it.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=128081&highlight=u-joint

Anyone else have fitment issues with the U joint being large and hitting the rear sway bar??? I finally got around to reinstalling my rear sway bar today and noticed when I turned the driveshaft it hit the bar !!! Glad I found out before I took it for a drive :shock:

Maybe an aftermarket one is in order, hehe.

Blown77Z, Yes I had the same issues when re-setting DS angles in my car with updated larger ujoints. The previous owner poorly installed a front facing 280 rear bar in an early 240z?! Go figure. So needless to say I cut it out and eventually went with a rear facing bar. If your DS angles are golden, go with a rear mounted bar. Or is it possible to shim a 280 bar to get some clearance? I am not familar with the 280 frame mountings.

Hi Dale, You might be missing more from no rear bar. I was running no bar too for a long time and handling was fine. Installed one later and the high speed straight line stability 100 plus was the huge unexpected improvement! The only thing with rear bar is the finned cover which to me is not worth extra effort to run on the street.

Picture_020B.jpg

Disclaimer, I'm not an expert lol.

Damn that's one pretty rear end ya got there, LOL. Hmmm, interesting about the high speed stability. I haven't really had the car over 100 except for the short time on the drag strip. But like I said its in the plan. I won't be running the finned cover either when I swap in the LSD.

As far as the 280Z bar mount you really can't easily shim it. That was going to be my plan until I look at how the stock bar is mounted. The brackets are welded on the body and don't allow for a shim without a lot of cutting and welding. Thats why I just took it off.

Blown77Z, Yes I had the same issues when re-setting DS angles in my car with updated larger ujoints. The previous owner poorly installed a front facing 280 rear bar in an early 240z?! Go figure. So needless to say I cut it out and eventually went with a rear facing bar. If your DS angles are golden, go with a rear mounted bar. Or is it possible to shim a 280 bar to get some clearance? I am not familar with the 280 frame mountings.

Hi Dale, You might be missing more from no rear bar. I was running no bar too for a long time and handling was fine. Installed one later and the high speed straight line stability 100 plus was the huge unexpected improvement! The only thing with rear bar is the finned cover which to me is not worth extra effort to run on the street.

Picture_020B.jpg

Disclaimer, I'm not an expert lol.

As far as the 280Z bar mount you really can't easily shim it. That was going to be my plan until I look at how the stock bar is mounted. The brackets are welded on the body and don't allow for a shim without a lot of cutting and welding. Thats why I just took it off.

Indeed......mine will stay off for the time being :icon_frow