HybridZ

R180 snapin half shafts

ASA240Z

To make things short, I bought a earlier R180 4.38 and im having trouble with the side shafts. I was goning to swap my side stubs by it does seen to hold and I dont get an power to the wheels. I found in the sticky about the various diffs that the earlier R180 diffs need some kind of mod to make the side shafts work:

"Newer R180s are availabe from the 84-88 200SX and have a large K cast into the top of the housing. They can be used in the Z with some modifications. The newer diffs use a stub shaft that plugs into the diff and is retained by a circlip, and the older diffs used a bolt in stub shaft.

CLIP IN AXLE VS BOLT IN AXLE R160s/180s

There are two ways to use the newer R180s with the original side stub shafts and half shafts. One is to convert the diff to the bolt in axles. The part that the bolts connect to is called a button, and the procedure to swap the buttons into a K diff is described below. These same procecures hold for LSD carriers, but the disassembly of the LSD is a bit more complicated. The other is to modify the stubs to use a spring clip, and then clip the axles in. http://www.betamotorsports.com has taken the effort out of this procedure by performing all the machine work. Just buy the new stubs and clip them in."

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114798

First of all the article says that this diffs come for the SX's, mine is supposedly from the a nissan truck. Are these the same?

Now, does the R180 that I have need this mod, or is there something else wrong with? I posted some pics on the diff I have...Also can some one post a pic of a diff that needs a spring clip for the stubs shafts to work, I not really sure what the difference looks like. Thanks

240Z438diff003.jpg

240Z438diff002.jpg

240Z438diff001.jpg

• 2 months later...

lol I forgot about this thread... anyway I tried using the stubs from my Z but it doesnt want to grab the gear teeth in the diff. assuming the the stubs are stock with my year (72') would this mean that they're worn out, or the wrong part?

Thanks

... anyway I tried using the stubs from my Z but it doesnt want to grab the gear teeth in the diff. assuming the the stubs are stock with my year (72') would this mean that they're worn out, or the wrong part?

You need to use the later (1974 and up) R180 axles. These have the “single-bolt†attachment. The earlier (1970-73) R180 axles are secured to the diff in a manner similar to the R200 u-joint axles.

R180_Axle_Shaft_thumb.jpg