HybridZ

How do you wire up the LS1 Alternator?

Your EFI harness should have this small wire already. This wire is coming from the PCM pin 15 Red connector. GL

Nav,

Please becareful with your post dude. He is not a newby so I am sure he did searched. I am sure the admin won't be happy with your post.

My alternator only has 2 wires coming from it. My alternator has 1 black plug with a single red wire coming from it that plugs into the top of the alternator. Then on the back of the alternator is where the power wire is run from staright to the battery. That's it.

Now listen guys... lol... I think after all I have been through, I know how to use the search button. I am sorry for offending the great search gods in my request for an answer!!! :icon53:

Ok, now that I have figured it out, there are a couple of different ways people have hooked these up, I had to get a pigtail, run 1 wire from the alt, to a 12V power source, but with a 500 ohms worth of resistors wired in a series from that 12V run only, to that 1 wire coming out of the pigatil connector on the alternator... Now, great gods of the almighty search button, MAY I HAVE NOT STARTED THIS THREAD, or a couple others.. My alternator would already be fried due to the wire not being hooked up correctly and the alternator putting out way too much power.. LS1tech guys said theirs lasted about 4 hours being wired wrong. So all you others might want to check this. :icon14:

Have a nice day!

Oooohoooohh I've never done this but I think I know!

Read the forum!

Search..search...search...search!

I know there's a lot of info on the site pertaining to the GM Alternators and probably quite a bit in the Chevy forum talking about the LS1 setup.

And no, there is not a whole lot out there about the alternator setup on swaps like mine, where you basically start from scratch and dont have all the wires sitting there for you. My Custom harness did not have the wires needed, and I did not have the pigtail, or it modified to use the 1 wire I needed. I know youre just trying to help, but please, dont be an :ass:

And no, there is not a whole lot out there about the alternator setup on swaps like mine, where you basically start from scratch and dont have all the wires sitting there for you. My Custom harness did not have the wires needed, and I did not have the pigtail, or it modified to use the 1 wire I needed. I know youre just trying to help, but please, dont be an :ass:

Yeah I know I can be a...pain... but I know I've seen the answer to this question in the forums before. I've done a bit of research on the different GM alts because I was thinking about swapping one onto my L28. The wire you're talking about is the voltage sense wire that's required to start the exciter before the newer GM alts will produce power. Trust me, I don't post things like that unless I'm sure the answer is already here.