HybridZ

looking for a 4" Straight through muffler

mattyice

Why do you guys even get mufflers? Is it the sound? I don't get it.

the law.

EDIT: and the fact that some people want to be able to have a conversation about how cool their car is while driving with their impressed passenger, rather than coming out of the car with scratchy throats and hearing troubles and trying to make sense of weird hand gestures and motions of the passenger showing his friends how he was thrown back into the seat. lol. i dunno

Guest 280ZForce
Justin, How much does your exhaust weigh?

I'll be taking it off to do some work soon so the I'll weigh it when it's off and let you know.

hey 280zforce.... What is the size of the outlet on your header is it 2.5 inches, or 3 inches??

I'm turbo, so my outlet is my turbo and my turbo is 4" outlet, hence why my downpipe and exhaust system is 4" turbo back.

the law.

EDIT: and the fact that some people want to be able to have a conversation about how cool their car is while driving with their impressed passenger, rather than coming out of the car with scratchy throats and hearing troubles and trying to make sense of weird hand gestures and motions of the passenger showing his friends how he was thrown back into the seat. lol. i dunno

Wrong..... A turbocharged car does not need a muffler. It is a muffling device. I owned an SRT4 which doesnt have a muffler stock. Therefore that is already a proven wrong statement. So why do people get mufflers?

Your SRT4 has a catalytic converter along with 2 resonators. That is the reason it doesn't have a muffler. A straigth pipe off of the turbo can be fairly loud...

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_SRT-4

"Exhaust fumes exited through a catalytic converter, two resonators and a stainless steel mandrel bent 2.25-inch (57.15 mm) exhaust piping system, which split into two at the rear without mufflers."

Your SRT4 has a catalytic converter along with 2 resonators. That is the reason it doesn't have a muffler. A straigth pipe off of the turbo can be fairly loud...

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_SRT-4

"Exhaust fumes exited through a catalytic converter, two resonators and a stainless steel mandrel bent 2.25-inch (57.15 mm) exhaust piping system, which split into two at the rear without mufflers."

Its not that bad. I had a 3inch exhaust all the way back with only one res. But its still not a law to have a muffler. If this guy is looking for a 4'' exhaust Im sure its already loud.

Wrong..... A turbocharged car does not need a muffler. It is a muffling device. I owned an SRT4 which doesnt have a muffler stock. Therefore that is already a proven wrong statement. So why do people get mufflers?

maybe in H-Town you guys don't associate sound with the law.

I don't like when my cars be goin like WHOO WHOOOO. But then again I should be up in the mawnin' cookin breakfast or sump'n by then.

Then you got the flows. That ain't trippen without the flowmasters. It's just for decoration anyway, baybay. dats it dats all. they do it for decoration.

*drives off passed a stop sign in an MK3 supra*

:wc:

maybe in H-Town you guys don't associate sound with the law.

I don't like when my cars be goin like WHOO WHOOOO. But then again I should be up in the mawnin' cookin breakfast or sump'n by then.

Then you got the flows. That ain't trippen without the flowmasters. It's just for decoration anyway, baybay. dats it dats all. they do it for decoration.

*drives off passed a stop sign in an MK3 supra*

:wc:

Wow your ignorant. Anyways I just dont see why no muffler is to loud and a 4'' exhaust which is still illegal isnt.

Guest 280ZForce
Why do you guys even get mufflers? Is it the sound? I don't get it.

here is Cali and most other states nowadays any modification to the exhaust is deemed illegal unless it is CARB certified or state approved and for our Zs, no exhaust of that sort exists.

Usually all cars come equipped with mufflers at some point or another, and being turbo isn't always a muffling device and my turbo car has always been loud even in mostly stock form even w/ a turbo.

I drive a passat turbo as well that comes with cat and muffler.

mufflers are there as stated in the common sense term of the word... muffle, to quiet the noise of something.

Without mufflers cars can be ridiculously loud. I know my car with no mufflers, even if I had resonators and a cat would be super loud still.

the only reason a turbo is a muffling device is because it creates back pressure and offers a restriction in the exhaust...and incorrect about the SRT-4...its reason for not needing mufflers came from the small diameter exhaust, 2 resonators, and the cat...all of that was enough to keep exhaust quite and dont try and argue i have been an SRT-4 owner since 2004 and know the car and engine like the back of my hand, the most respested SRT-4 tuner in the world lives 45 minutes from me

careless i caught on haha

"its not a woo woo its a WOOO WOOO" hahahahaha

anyways i want a muffler because it makes the exhaust note more attractive then without one...this isnt an SRT-4 that sounds good without a muffler...Plus a muffler will finish off the back of a really plain looking car ass... 4" pipe with no muffler will look ghetto rigged the way im running it...a 4" straight through muffler also does not restrict the exhaust at all

You have a dizzying intellect, indeed.

- The short of it is that turbochargers do quiet the exhaust, and not just through back pressure. Your SRT-4 would not be nearly as quiet without the turbocharger, all else being equal.

- Living 45 minutes from "the most respested SRT-4 tuner in the world" means very little. Who is that anyway? Are there many SRT-4 tuners in the world?

- Regarding your comment about knowing the engine so well because you've owned an SRT-4 for years doesn't mean a great deal: there are plenty of guys here who've been in the L-series Datsun engines for 20+ years and are still learning that simple engine.

- Some straight-thru muffler designs actually flow better than straight pipe.

- Some straight-thru muffler designs actually flow worse than straight pipe.

the only reason a turbo is a muffling device is because it creates back pressure and offers a restriction in the exhaust...and incorrect about the SRT-4...its reason for not needing mufflers came from the small diameter exhaust, 2 resonators, and the cat...all of that was enough to keep exhaust quite and dont try and argue i have been an SRT-4 owner since 2004 and know the car and engine like the back of my hand, the most respested SRT-4 tuner in the world lives 45 minutes from me

careless i caught on haha

"its not a woo woo its a WOOO WOOO" hahahahaha

anyways i want a muffler because it makes the exhaust note more attractive then without one...this isnt an SRT-4 that sounds good without a muffler...Plus a muffler will finish off the back of a really plain looking car ass... 4" pipe with no muffler will look ghetto rigged the way im running it...a 4" straight through muffler also does not restrict the exhaust at all