HybridZ

My door is stuck shut.......

ottoauto

I just picked up a 280zx for 150 bucks. I work at NAPA and a guy i know came in and said i could have it for 150 bucks so i said sure. it's an 82 280zx 2+2 with a cracked windsheild, cracked t-tops, auto tranny and leaks and rust, mold. it needs help, but so do i. I've spent the last couple days climbing in and out of it too move it but i can't really figure out how to get the door open. locked and handles don't do anything, and i can't get the door panel off when it's closed..... any ideas? anyone run into this problem?

roll down the window and take the door panel off. Look inside the door you will see a little tab in that you with i a little whole in it and take a screwdriver or a long pair of needle nose pliers and put it in the hole and push down.

let me know if that doesn't makes sense

I'm just going to throw this out there...

I bought an 83 a couple months ago for an engine donor. Doors worked just fine, no problem. I put it up on jack stands at all four corners and it turned out it had so much rust along the frame that the body actually bent in such a manner when I jacked it up that the pass. door is extremely hard to open now.

Sounds like yours has seen better days as well, so it's possible that your frame is bent... I hope not, for your sake :-)

Yeah. well it's not my problem anymore. a friend just got it from me for about the same price i got it for. he can deal with the problems now. I know where there is another 280zx for about 300 with a newer engine and a 5-speed i can pull and put in my 240z. and rust isn't quite as bad... im gunna go check that one out.

Guest 73LT1Z

Glad you were able to transfer the problem at no loss. I had this happen today on my S30 & I was able to get a 10mm wrench in the jamb area from the inside and remove the three 6mm bolts holding the latch. Took a lot of patience but it can be done. Also learned that just because the dovetail is off and the door side of the latch is unbolted that the door can still latch!

In the alternative, you can paint the car orange with a flag on the roof and hang out with a cousin called Bo or Luke :D.