HybridZ

Trouble with backfiring and hot start issue SDS Em6F

larsz

I have the SDS unit EM6F fuel & spark with the L-28ET .This symptom only happens when the engine is hot & sits for a few minutes after running. It makes a loud backfire pop out the exhaust & won't start right away until it cools down a bit. It took almost 5 minutes before I could get the car to start again & a lot of backfiring in between like gun shots. After it starts up it runs fine. The plugs look okay. Any advice here? Thanks.

This may or may not apply to your circumstances, but from past experience, backfires from my engine have been caused by lean conditions. Noticing that the default programming values for Engine Temp show a value higher than 0 in the top 3 temperature ranges, and the sample maps provided with the system show an even higher value in those ranges, it might be a heat soak condition. Taking that into account and reading the latest SDS Manual, it states:

Some engines like a little additional fuel when hot starting to compensate for hot fuel in the fuel rail due to heat soak back conditions. Extra fuel can be added until water circulation brings the engine temperature below this threshold. If you are doing this be sure to only enter numbers above the engine temps which are in the normal operating range.

To check if this is a the problem with hot starting your engine, use the rich/lean knob to see if it's looking for or wanting more or less fuel at those high temperatures. Adjust the Engine Temp values accordingly.

This is just a suggestion for troubleshooting the issue and may not provide you with a reasonable solution, but it's always worth a try.

Warren

Is this something new, or has it always been doing this? Mine has a hard time with hot starts too, but it doesn't backfire.

Well when it had the stock electronics , it never did this. But when I put in the SDS unit it just did it all the time. I will try to change the values & maybe re-check the timing too.

This may or may not apply to your circumstances, but from past experience, backfires from my engine have been caused by lean conditions. Noticing that the default programming values for Engine Temp show a value higher than 0 in the top 3 temperature ranges, and the sample maps provided with the system show an even higher value in those ranges, it might be a heat soak condition. Taking that into account and reading the latest SDS Manual, it states:

Some engines like a little additional fuel when hot starting to compensate for hot fuel in the fuel rail due to heat soak back conditions. Extra fuel can be added until water circulation brings the engine temperature below this threshold. If you are doing this be sure to only enter numbers above the engine temps which are in the normal operating range.

To check if this is a the problem with hot starting your engine, use the rich/lean knob to see if it's looking for or wanting more or less fuel at those high temperatures. Adjust the Engine Temp values accordingly.

This is just a suggestion for troubleshooting the issue and may not provide you with a reasonable solution, but it's always worth a try.

Warren

Alright Warren, I will try to do what you are suggesting. I also called SDS & they said it might be also a problem with the ECU . I have to call them with the serial number. They apparantly have an update for the unit. The tech also thought it could be the coil packs but they seem to check out okay. Thanks for your assistance.

• 3 months later...
I have the SDS unit EM6F fuel & spark with the L-28ET .This symptom only happens when the engine is hot & sits for a few minutes after running. It makes a loud backfire pop out the exhaust & won't start right away until it cools down a bit. It took almost 5 minutes before I could get the car to start again & a lot of backfiring in between like gun shots. After it starts up it runs fine. The plugs look okay. Any advice here? Thanks.

After talking with the SDS rep. It was pin pointed to the sync magnet not seen when the motor was hot. I had to re-align the hall sensor so that it would fire up. Walla , it starts now all the time!