HybridZ

Fuel Filler Behind License Plate

JustinOlson

I think you may need to design in a more vertical section of the elbow. Just thinking of filling up and fluid possibly spurting out. Or, if you're parked on a hill with a full tank (or accelerating hard), would the cap seal it enough to prevent leaking?

I would also measure the CLR of an actual pump nozzle and throw it into SW (or which ever modeler you're using) to make sure it will slide in / out just right.

Otherwise, looks good Justin.

Guest 280ZForce

Ok, ok... I suppose I'm leaking my progress pics out lil by lil already, so why not... here we go...

I have some 1.5" aluminum pipe that I will cut an angle, then cut a hole in the driver side top portion of the fuel cell on the back side of it by the tail panel. Then weld in the alum pipe to the cell and run some fuel filler hose off the filler at a slight 90* downward bend into the new alum pick up.

this is still a bit rough...

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

Never liked the idea of the fuel filler/cap sitting at the back of the car. A good rear impact can damage the filler tube and cap and cause a fuel leak. Nothing like stepping out of your car after getting hit a a light and realizing you're standing in a puddle of fuel.

Even the NASCAR hillbillies recognized this decades ago and put the fuel filler on the side of the car.

Guest 280ZForce

the same thing could happen with a side filler on a side/t-bone impact. With a fuel cell that has a sump you're looking at that problem happening anyway cuz of the sump fuel lines being at the rear of the car.

I wanted a fuel filler that I could easily hide inside the car by boxing it up and also still give me the most cargo space to do other things that I might need space for and that option was the most out of the way.

I moved the filler to the rear on my Z31. I would change the angle of the neck on the fuel cell so that it is more vertical. I used the stock fuel tank and and filler neck from the car and angled it up about 45 degrees and haven't had any problems with fuel coming out the filler, and My car had a major squat under acceleration.

On a lighter side, I never have to remember which side the filler is on. :)

Guest 280ZForce
280zForce,

What kinda filler cap is that?

Justin

Pop-up cap ftw! You push in and twist, it pops up and then you unscrew it.

It comes w/ a steel weld in bung as well, got it off a guy on ebay, I guess they are used on motorcycles mostly.

But here's the link to 1 from him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-2-Raw-Alum-Pop-up-Gas-Cap-with-Steel-bung_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35557QQihZ022QQitemZ350047894783QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Hope that works for ya - J

Your car is looking very nice. I like the rear mount gas filler.

Pop-up cap ftw! You push in and twist, it pops up and then you unscrew it.

It comes w/ a steel weld in bung as well, got it off a guy on ebay, I guess they are used on motorcycles mostly.

But here's the link to 1 from him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-2-Raw-Alum-Pop-up-Gas-Cap-with-Steel-bung_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35557QQihZ022QQitemZ350047894783QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Hope that works for ya - J

I'm working towards the same concept. My approach is to utilise as much as I can from the LS1 donor car. To that end I have kept all the fuel tank items in the hope I can marry them to an aluminium tank I am constructing. One item is the one-way valve seen in the photo. You may want to consider picking up something like this new or from a wrecker.

Fuel tank items_thumb.JPG