HybridZ

73' 240Z, $5000 worth it?

So I'm curious what you guys think about this. I just thought I might get an opinion. I've been looking for a 70-73 240Z to get to work on some then eventually swap my L28ET into. Anyway I found one, it's auto, but it was pretty nice and really clean. Got to see the underside, there's very little rust. So this was a good thing. Paint is old and faded. Car's been re-painted a couple of times, different colors each time. All the weather stripping and ruber seals are old and cracked, to be expected from a car this age and an Arizona car.

Interior isn't bad, but it would need some work, aftermarket seats, missing some thing, cracked dash with a cover, headunit that no longer works. Window trim falling apart so it's not sealing very well.

Ran good, loud ass grinding in the rear namely around turns or if you got on it hard. It at times almost sounded like when the starter doesn't engage properly or if when you're cranking you hold the key too long for the starter once it's started, but the noise was from the rear. Was leaking a mass amount of oil, which I found was from the valve cover. One of the bolts was missing. My guess is it was probably a stripped out bolt. It was on the front passenger side bolt. Then I noticed the radiator looked really beat up, it looked as if at one point the fan had collided with the radiator, the fan itself didn't look exactly right while spinning, but the car didn't have cooling problems. Anyway on the passenger side fender there was a weird chip in the paint. Like it was just cracked, and kind of humped up, but the hump wasn't bubbled, it was smooth almost as if the fender was kind of bent in at some point. Also the passenger side door took a good slamming to get it to close all the way, much more so than the driver's door. This all got me to thinking that the Z had been in an accident at some point, and the fender was probably warped and just pulled out. Owner said there was no accident, and that the radiator was like that when he got it, but not 100% sure on that. So what do you guys think about the price. I'm probably going to pass unless it comes down, I figure I'll keep looking for an early 70-73 240Z and possibly a 74' 260Z for my L28ET swap.

It's a hard call. To me lately I can't find a decent car anywhere for a good price in FL. I'm not sure on your access to cars to even look at, but to me, we are scarce here. I've looked at 3 Cars this past weekend and all were pretty rust. One was real bad and the guy wanted 2600, but it had triple Webers on it, without them he wanted 1800.00.

I was so close to flying out to Arizona for a super clean 73 for $5K and driving back to FL. Just an option to consider.

I paid $500 for a 74 260z with a 81 l28 engine. It was a basket case, no transmission, but the body was in nearly perfect condition. I figure I've got about $3000 in the completed car. I don't think I'd pay more than $2000 for a car that needed paint, interior, and mechanical work. I think the 70-78 z's are one of the last affordable sports cars.

I have no problem justifying $5000 for an S30. The body being as clean as it was is what helped to justify it. Especially here in Ohio. Although I could probably get one cheaper by buying it from another state and brought up by car carrier. I think what really turned me off was what appeared to be a body that may have been in a wreck. This wouldn't even be that bad, but it occurred to me that should I need a new fender or a door at some point due to the fact that I may find problems in it, a replacement part may not fit or fit like it should. It was said that nothing happened in the 10 years of ownership, but it's always hard to say. Since something like carfax doesn't go back that far you'll never know.

Just to judge...

I got a 72 240z about 2 years ago and it was very clean zero rust (all old rust was cut and patched). The engine etc was in good shape and the interior was perfect with the exception of a small patched crack in the dash.

So from my experience 5k should get you a great 240z that would not require any major work.

EDIT:

I found the car in GA.

I paid 5k for my car. The body was pretty much as you see it in my sig except the hood had a dent in it and there used to be a really beat-up BRE spook. The interior was completely original and in CLEAN condition. The L28 w/ the 5-speed it came with was very clean and is running really well. If your going to pay 5k for a 240z I would expect the body/interior to be near perfect or requiring very little work to complete, and it should be able to run reliably.

I paid 5k for my car. The body was pretty much as you see it in my sig except the hood had a dent in it and there used to be a really beat-up BRE spook. The interior was completely original and in CLEAN condition. The L28 w/ the 5-speed it came with was very clean and is running really well. If your going to pay 5k for a 240z I would expect the body/interior to be near perfect or requiring very little work to complete, and it should be able to run reliably.

You did good, but your in CA. Clean cars are much more accessible then OH.

I paid $2500 for a stock '73, zero rust, minor colision damage, decent interior, not running, but got lucky, and it runs great with tune up , exhaust, and carb work (still ~$2,000) I looked at every Z that came on the market for two years (in minnesota) and this was the first one with zero rust. Was almost ready to fly to Phoenix when this came along. All depends on how bad you want it, and what the local supply issue is where you live. Like my dad says, something is "worth" exactly what soemone is willing to pay, at the time you want to sell.

Armand if the Z looked like that, hell I'd have been ready to pay $6k for it :mrgreen:

I keep on looking, I'm in search of a 70-73 240Z or I wouldn't mind a 74' 260Z. I think it was on Zhome.com where I read, don't be worried about spending more for an old Z, because even if it means more upfront, it's better than all the amounts of work you may put into a cheap car. I'm primarily looking at the body on these, but for a really super clean body, that needs paint, interior work, some engine work, suspension work, and has collision damage, I'd guess $5000 is a bit too much, but at the same time out here in Ohio it does go up a bit since I'd be spending at least $500 extra on an out of state car just to get it back. I'd probably have it brought back via car carrier which would cost even more.

DuoWing, to give you a clear idea of exactly how my car was when I bought it, here are pictures of the day I got my car. I was very lucky since I only looked at about three other Z's before see'ing this one. As you can see the bumper was also damaged, I had that repaired and rechromed as well.

needssorting173cs3.jpg

needssorting175su7.jpg

needssorting171wq0.jpg

Only advice I can give is to be patient. One of the major flaws on my car is the electrical system. Practically nothing worked, and a couple days ago my ignition stopped giving spark, and now I have to fix that too. Whenever you truly consider buying a car, you know deep down whether or not if it's the right choice. Just be logical. On my car everything appears to be great, but man o man was the suspension, brakes, and electrical system neglected. Everything was so shot it was ridiculous, and to get everything up to my standards has been costing well over double, close to triple of what I was expecting to spend other than the price of the car. I'm lucky I make as much money as I do for being 17, otherwise I simply wouldn't be able to afford to keep building this car.

Armand if the Z looked like that, hell I'd have been ready to pay $6k for it :mrgreen:

I keep on looking, I'm in search of a 70-73 240Z or I wouldn't mind a 74' 260Z. I think it was on Zhome.com where I read, don't be worried about spending more for an old Z, because even if it means more upfront, it's better than all the amounts of work you may put into a cheap car. I'm primarily looking at the body on these, but for a really super clean body, that needs paint, interior work, some engine work, suspension work, and has collision damage, I'd guess $5000 is a bit too much, but at the same time out here in Ohio it does go up a bit since I'd be spending at least $500 extra on an out of state car just to get it back. I'd probably have it brought back via car carrier which would cost even more.

I've been there done that. This is so true.