HybridZ

Jaguar i-6 0_o

i would assume (big assumption here) that jag i-6 swaps are something you never see because nice, mid-90's model jags, sitting broken down in people's yard is something you ALWAYS see. parts are ridiculously priced for jags. even oe replacement stuff has no listing with your run of the mill parts stores. i think it'd be a worthwhile venture if you can find a better source for parts. they've gotta have decent torque to push around a big heavy soap bar looking car like a jag.

• 2 weeks later...

youd be better off with a old ford or chevy truck I-6, way more potential with the aftermarket...but still not as nice as the Jag I-6's...drove a sedan with the dohc I-6..lots of power and the exhaust note was sweet but i dont hear of much of an aftermarket support for performance and you'd have the same trouble i had with my MG midget, parts can be found for cheap, you just pay out the a$$ for shipping cuz the best deals are from the U.K. or Europe and especially heavy parts like alternators, cylinder heads, etc...have crazy shipping costs....

as for reliability ive heard alotta good about the I-6's AND even the v-12s...but avoid the 80's xjs's, the reason you see them in junkyards is because of the poor wiring that plagued them (and for some reason most european vehicles of that era) just watch videos of them on youtube under top-gear, but to put it one way THE best engines made by jag have always been I-6's and they were always in their best handling sports cars, and the ones you see now are derivatives of the early 50's xk120's with slight changes in displacement and setup over time and they wouldnt have such a good reputation if the engines were of poor build, but for the most part they look at it as though if you can afford a Jag you can afford the maintenence costs, so if your looking for cheap power, id look elsewhere, but if youve got $$$ and time to blow i think the Jag i-6 would be badass

yeah, the 80's jags have wiring problems for sure. AND they have more coolant problems than jeeps. i'm moving to finland in about 8 months, and in anticipation i looked online for sites outlining the motorsports market there. aftermarket support is much more available there. lots of cool, hopped up jags and bimmers and volvos there. i would agree with the previous poster that shipping is what hinders the market here. and amen on the exhaust note. one of the smoothest revving engines ever. and torque monsters to boot.