HybridZ

2jz31 Na-t

StreetFighter

Actually, the internals of the GE and GTE arequally as strong (and both use cast pistons). The GE head has smaller intake ports and larger exhaust ports (opposite of what you need for a turbo setup) so they typically don't make as much power as the GTE, but for $300 I couldn't say no to the GE. I have a Boostlogic NA-T kit, and it fits beautifully. I had to slightly modify the downpipe and fab intercooler pipes, but everything else was bolt-on.

I'm using a Boostlogic built toyota auto, T67 DBB, AEM EMS, 75 shot of N2O, the engine is stock other than a 2.5mm head gasket and ARP head studs, and the Z is a very rare hardtop. I would like to see a 9.9xx @135+mph on spray and somewhere in the mid 10s at 128ish on C16.

I get the transmission back tomorrow, so it should be running by this weekend. Having access to all of boostlogic's and performance motorsports' tools, lifts, and fabrication equipment has been a blessing. I started the project less than a month ago, and I have been stuck for two weeks waiting on the transmission. I have a few wiring odds and ends, a driveshaft has to be made, exhaust system, transmission lines, and a few minor tasks left to do. If I would have had all the parts from the begining, I think I could have done it from start to finish in 28 days, all while working my normal job 10-6 M-F.

Speeder on here has a IS300 that has been turbo'ed and according to him his had the supra internals put in IE connecting rods and pistons. If the case is that the NA's have the forged pistons from the factory that will probably get me onto this swap sooner because you can get IS/GS300 motors for dirt cheap

Speeder on here has a IS300 that has been turbo'ed and according to him his had the supra internals put in IE connecting rods and pistons. If the case is that the NA's have the forged pistons from the factory that will probably get me onto this swap sooner because you can get IS/GS300 motors for dirt cheap

Read his post again - they BOTH use CAST pistons. Also, you'll find going turbo with a GE motor won't be much cheaper, if at all, versus just using the GTE engine. One big reason is the GE intake manifold won't fit under your stock hood so you'll have to do something with that. Custom GE intakes run from $1000-$2500. Streetfighter built his own. Also, you're guaranteed to have to get a custom header to mount a turbo and all the costs associated with the plumbing. You'll also have to use the distributor from the GE or figure out what you wanna do about bypassing it.

I think all this info can be found in other threads here in the Toyota L6 forum.

Exhaust is done, shifter linkage and housing is done, wiring is 90% complete, there is not much left. I still have to modify the center arm rest to fit the supra shifter, run some transmission cooler lines, do a bit more wiring, and get a driveshaft made... but that's pretty much it. 4 inch exhaust is stupid huge.

SL380274.jpg

SL380275.jpg

SL380277.jpg

SL380278.jpg

SL380276.jpg

That is very pretty work, StreetFighter - I was proud of my custom intake until I saw that beauty of yours. Thanks for making me feel inadequate!:mrgreen:

According to my sources, the turbo variant of the 2JZ has hyperutectic (still cast, but stronger) pistons with a bigger dish for a lower CR. The IS300 -GE has a CR in the high 9s and distribututor-less ignition.

That's a pretty wild Z you have there... I'd love to see what the 2JZ looks like in there. Was it SBC powered before? I see some chevy exhaust gaskets on the floor.

I don't have a speedo. This is a weekend warrior car, so I figured I didn't really need it.

What size turbos do you typically use on the pro street 2JZs, and are they 3.0 or 3.4L?

A buddy did an N/a-t MK3 supra. He was able to use the 7MGTE wiring, and electronics, tweaked to fit, and used a stand-alone ECU called stinger from austrailia. If you plan to do some boltons the GTE would easily be more expensive. Cost of motor is way high. Then you plan on doing the same upgrades that you did on the GE, which is cheaper. Such as putting the header, turbo, downpipe, stand alone, injectors.....ect, then really all your using is the basic longblock, not even the full motor. But I guess if you get a GTE you could sell some parts off to make a bit back.

That's a pretty wild Z you have there... I'd love to see what the 2JZ looks like in there. Was it SBC powered before? I see some chevy exhaust gaskets on the floor.

I don't have a speedo. This is a weekend warrior car, so I figured I didn't really need it.

What size turbos do you typically use on the pro street 2JZs, and are they 3.0 or 3.4L?

Yep, it had a 468ci sbc before.

I've ran 67mm turbos on the other two trucks I built. I'm gonna go with something a little bigger on the Z. I would like to shoot for around 900hp on this one.

That's some really nice looking work that you've done on your car. Looks very professional.:icon14:

If the trans temp gauge reads hot I'll wrap it, but I think the airflow under the car should help with keeping the trans cool, and at a stop, the exhaust really isn't terribly hot.

If you want 900 to the flywheel, a T71 will do that just fine. The 6 speed guys are making 800 to the wheels with a 71mm, and that puts you right at the limit of the stock bottom end. If you build the engine, go with a GT42-76 or 78. You could probably dip into the 8's with that turbo and a little spray.