HybridZ

interior assembly

Guest gcsd22

Guest gcsd22

hey guys, i've been looking for a 240z to stick a sbc in it. I found one the other day with new paint, like the color and it looks pretty good except he has the interior totally gutted. All the parts are there it just needs to be put back together. How daunting of a task is this, this car is rust free so i'm trying to decide if it would be worth it. I am handy with tools, just don't want to spend a week putting an interior together.

thanks,

pete

hey guys, i've been looking for a 240z to stick a sbc in it. I found one the other day with new paint, like the color and it looks pretty good except he has the interior totally gutted. All the parts are there it just needs to be put back together. How daunting of a task is this, this car is rust free so i'm trying to decide if it would be worth it. I am handy with tools, just don't want to spend a week putting an interior together.

thanks,

pete

i'm pretty inexperienced, but I have taken the entire dash and everything behind it out of two Z's in the past month. I don't think it will take you that long if all you have to do is assemble everything. Prob a solid day of work (if you have all the parts)

I wouldnt say a day of work... maybe if everything was in perfect shape and without a doubt ready to go in, but, what are the odds of that happening? There will always be small things that dont fit or you arent able to get on, and with interior parts one can hold up the whole thing.

Either way, if the car is rust free and in good shape it shouldnt be to much of a hassle....

Guest 73LT1Z
hey guys, I've been looking for a 240z to stick a sbc in it. I found one the other day with new paint, like the color and it looks pretty good except he has the interior totally gutted. All the parts are there it just needs to be put back together. How daunting of a task is this, this car is rust free so I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it. I am handy with tools, just don't want to spend a week putting an interior together.

thanks,

pete

Rust free being the key phrase there! The interior stuff is pretty available and costs a lot less than rust repair. I recently pulled everything except the dash & headliner out of my 280, it is not that bad of a job. I'd say if you had all the stuff, some assembly/parts pics, and a good website* with lots o' buds to answer questions, you could do it in a week just working a few hours per night.

*Since you're here, you are at least a third of the way there :).

Guest gcsd22

hey guys thanks for the replies so far. He is asking 3k for the car, so assuming it is rust free and he has all the parts to put the interior back together does it sound worth it. It has new paint, but the motor isn't running although it might be something trivial, not sure.

thanks,

pete

Guest 73LT1Z
hey guys thanks for the replies so far. He is asking 3k for the car, so assuming it is rust free and he has all the parts to put the interior back together does it sound worth it. It has new paint, but the motor isn't running although it might be something trivial, not sure.

thanks,

pete

Never hurts to ask... when I bought my TA, the dealer wanted like $11,xxx for it. I offered $9,000 (book value was around $10,500) and they took it w/o any haggling. The best way you can approach a sale is to be as informed as possible. The problem with older cars like the Z is that you can't do a VIN history on it (81 and later only due to the VIN).

You can still estimate what one complete and running goes for, and how much ($) work/parts you need for this one to make it that way. In theory, subtract the latter from the former and you should have a ballpark price.

Best thing to do is to look it over & verify the lack of rust- a car can look pretty good but when you start taking stuff apart to do some work, you find you bought some rusty Swiss cheese! This is why my user name is not 75LT1Z BTW. I had a "20 footer" '73 240 and that was what happened with it. I traded for a much more solid 75 280 and am happy I did so.

Inoperable cars are always less $, I know this really adds to the cost to transport them.

Guest gcsd22

challenger- I was just assuming rust free to see if the price was fair. Then obviously deduct if/when I found rust.

Thanks LT1 for all the info. I guess one problem with this car would be finding the rust since it has just been painted. I know the frame rails rust should be pretty easy to spot. And maybe since he has all the interior out I can check out some other stuff too. The floorboards have been totally replaced so they shouldn't have any rust at all. I can take a magnet to check some of the more common rust spots too.

thanks,

pete