HybridZ

I hate rust....

oldskoolZ

Im sure this has been said a million times on this forum, but I feel i need to vent for a second, so just.. dont mind me..... Rust is the devil, it has officially ruined my life... Im a mechanical guy, im in to engines n stuff, but i figured ide give this whole "body work" thing a shot, and now i want to kill my self lol...

But now that Im started, Im determined to finish it. It just seems everytime i turn around theres more rust!!! lol... I have completely changed my plans for the car and really just want get into the engine, but i get bouts of depression everytime I think about all the rust haha. And i guess its really not as bad as im making it sound, Im just really not that good of a body man (this is my first attempt at any body work)... and I feel like no matter which way I go about to repair it, its not the right way, and Im being half-assed, I dont think anything short of replacing the whole rear end is really the "proper" though... ugh....

Well thanks for bein here for me guys... haha

I have a feeling I'll be saying the same works once I start my own body work down the road. Hopefully I'll get lucky and find a fairly rust free 240Z... Riiiiight.

Keep fighting the food fight. That rust can't keep you beat down forever! I'm sure the pains will be worth it once it's done.

thats the problem with body work...you never know if your doing it right...i ran into the same problems when changing my floor pans...I will give you one short advice...if you go in, go all in or your just going to chase your tail...I was about 90% done with my floors then decided to sand blast my engine bay and found tons more rust...if i was to do it over i would have just driven it since it was mechanically sound and found a better starting point. But dont give up, just make sure you know what your getting into before doing the repairs.

Yea i know I gotta keep going. Its sucks cuz things are rusted so bad i cant tell what its even SUPPOSED to look like. Im having a real prob with underneith the car in the rear, like inside the wheel wells and stuff. I guess Ill just make it the way i want it to look lol

haha I almost wish rust was my issue. My car's in the shop cause it doesn't pass emissions to register it, and my complex doesn't allow unregistered cars. They can't figure out why it won't pass, except before that it needed a valve job. now it's either running pig rich, or is getting blowby through the rings, DESPITE the perfect compression test. I may just rent a storage unit and tear the engine out and do a rebuild. It should only take maybe 2 or 3 months to gather the money to rebuild her.

pictures of the rust your talking about?? Im sure that those of us that have been through the battle would be more than willing to give you some pointers on where to start so you dont have to do stuff twice.

Yea that'd be great, Ill post some pics tomorrow...

Thanks again guys...

Another thing to do that will help relieve the stress and so you don't feel too overwhelmed, Do ONE section at a time. Ignore all other sections. Say, work on the frame rails and floors as one section. After that, do say, the left rear quarter, then move to a different section. but till one area is done ignore the rest. I've got add/adhd (from what everyone says) and I get overwhelmed easily if I don't ignore everything but one area at a time while I'm working.

So..... tubing the front end while you're at it?

I must say you do fight this war vigorously. Second picture kinda made my jaw drop, wasn't really expecting that.

haha. yeah. Didn't realise that i cut up half the tunnel untill I was finished. I still have all the pieces just is case. Haven't cut the rest of it because I'me using it as somewhat of a refference. I'm building the front off of the car and am going to graph it on when everything else is taken care of.