HybridZ

moving turbo to passener side on L28

one of the only things i dont like about the L series is that the inake/exhaust manifolds are on the same side of the head. i have an l28 that i plan on turbo charging soon, and im looking into all the options to do so.

I know i can get a turbo manifold at the junkyard for almost nothing, but i dont like its location...I did a search, but didnt find anything on this:

what would be the disadvantages of routing the exhaust to the other side of the engine bay and putting the turbo there? that would make it VERY easy to route the air into a front mount intercooler and out the other side into the TB. As long as the exhaust line going to the turbo was insulated well, i dont see how it would make too much difference where the turbo goes, with the exeption of maybe a LITTLE lag....but iono....

opinions?

I think that would work ok. running the exhaust under the oil pan is not that far. you could even use a stock NA exhaust manifold which would flow much better than the turbo manifold.

single turbos on V8's or V6's run the exhaust to the other side, so I don't see why you can't.

Maybe you should use some header wrap on the exhaust pipe that runs between the turbo and the manifold to keep the exhaust temperature up.

Not a bad idea. I wish I would had thought of that.

I thought about this too.

There are a few issues:

Hotside pre turbine piping. It will need to route under the oil pan, reducing ground clearance. Now you may be able to bring it up closer to the crossemember and tuck it up a bit in that area, but still wouldn't gain much ground clearance. You would also be introducing a lot of added bends and length to do this.

Exhaust passing under the oil pan, especially on the pre-turbine side can heat the oil in the pan, reducing oil life and if heated enough, causing it to break down in viscocisty and have reduced potential to lubrictae the engine. I have been involved in several discussions about this, and the general concensus seems to be that it will work, and not effect the oil temp too much as long as there is a buffer area (space) and/or heat sheald between (tin, heade wrap, etc). The effect seems to be less if the vehcile is moving, and air is allowed to pass the oil pan pulling away heat. This also brings up the issue of air passing over the pre-turbine tube cooling that off and reducing exhaust temps.

On the down pipe you would have to run this back under the oil pan to then run into and through the tranny tunnel. The starter is in the way on the right side of the car, to pass the exhaust down that side, along with clutch hydraulics (if manual).

You would likely need to relocate the oil filter or have the tubing pass around it, making it difficult to access. (I love how open and easy the L-series oil filter is to get at. :) )

A brace or bracket would need to be fabricated to support the turbo. Using the tubing alone will cause it to fail pretty quickly with the heat involved.

Oil path would be nice and short though, with the oil port on the passenger side. FWIW I've never had a problem with oiling the turbo from the opposite side of the engine.

The only gain or "advantage" to this idea is that the cold side piping would be a little easier. I don't see the cold side plumbing being all that difficult from the stock turbo location, in fact it looks MUCH easier than placing the turbo on the right side.

I've opted to go with the stock manifold, and location, as it makes for the shortest and most compact placement. Down pipe is much easier to fabricate, and has the best flow of the two turbo placements.

that would make it VERY easy to route the air into a front mount intercooler and out the other side into the TB. As long as the exhaust line going to the turbo was insulated well, i dont see how it would make too much difference where the turbo goes, with the exeption of maybe a LITTLE lag....but iono....

opinions?

There are other ways of routing the intercooler piping that makes it very easy to route to a FMIC and then the TB:

IC1.JPG