HybridZ

A Teens 240z Build

First let me say I posted here to receive any and all feedback on this project. Criticism only makes things better.

A few words about myself and my Z quest. I am 17 years old and have several years of experience rebuilding cars. I have fully restored a 1963 Chevy Nova Convertible, a 1968 Ford Bronco (My daily driver) and a 1969 El Camino. All three of those I worked along side my father and his brother learning the trade and now I am on my own. I wanted something that will get me better gas mileage, for the time being at least, and something with potential to be fast. Finally, I wanted something not American, but not a Honda. I came to the Z. I hit up craigslist and after a few weeks purchased a 1973 240z from a guy in my own town for $300. It had a running L28 with a 5 speed but the brakes were shot so I towed it home. The car had major rust problems and body damage, I was looking at two to three thousand in body work and rust replacement. However, within the week I found another $300 1973 240z about 50 miles away, this one not running, but with a 100% rust free body. Had to have it. That brings everything up to date. I began the projects by stripping out all interior parts and pulling both motors. Followed by cleaning and painting the front suspension, replacing the struts and springs and going to urethane bushings. So far I only have pictures of the new progressive eibach springs.

PIC-0120.jpg

PIC-0121.jpg

Sunday will bring pictures of the cars and all progress made.

Congrats on the car! I'm wondering where you learned all your knowledge about cars. Did your dad teach you? I'm also 17 and am wondering where other teens learn how to restore cars. My dad doesn't know SQUAT about working on cars, I've just read books/websites, and I'm gonna take some automotive classes at the local college this summer.

We need some pics!

Congrats on the car! I'm wondering where you learned all your knowledge about cars. Did your dad teach you? I'm also 17 and am wondering where other teens learn how to restore cars. My dad doesn't know SQUAT about working on cars, I've just read books/websites, and I'm gonna take some automotive classes at the local college this summer.

We need some pics!

That's about how I originally started with cars. I loved the Honda CRX, bought one, and started learning from there. My father always hated working on cars, so I was pretty much on my own. Luckily, I found a local guru who helped me through the hard times.

I'm really interested in seeing these two projects unfold. Definitely keep us up to date.

Yes I learned from my father and his twin brother, who happens to own a shop where he does special request classic car rebuilds. They both have 25 years plus of experience. Both can weld, my uncle was a commercial welder for nearly 10 years. I just got lucky I guess, I believe it is a great skill to have. Maybe I will run over to my garage tonight and snap a few pictures since you guys are so demanding! At work now so I will post pictures tonight.

hi im 16, the youngin of the bunch, im poor and cant aford to restore a 240z or 280z so im restoring a 81 280zx 2+2, i got all my info from these forums and common sence (some times that dosent work)

also at my school have a good automotive class that i take, it helps a little

DSCN0255.jpg

DSCN0256.jpg

DSCN0606.jpg

DSCN0146.jpg

Thats car looks good for 300 dollars. I bought my 75 280z when last year when I was 17. I'm 18 now and I painted it 2 weeks ago flat black. Heres some pics tell me what you think. It took me 6 months of prep work because of the little time I had to work on the car. http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm195/hybridzmaster/

and here is a link of thepaint I used. I had to buy 3 kits to paint the whole car. http://sem.ws/Catalog.asp?prod=270

This paint looks absolutely great on my car

I drove past my car that was in front of this repair shop for a month before i decided to stop and look at it, and I bought it that same day. I was lucky and so was the car because they owner was going to fill it with railroad ties and take it to the junk yard for scrap money.

Ok here are some updated pictures after a days work, like I promised.

First is the mysterious tarped Z, soon to be for sale!

PIC-0126.jpg

Here is my project car, at the beginning of the day.

PIC-0122.jpg

The front drivers side suspension, notice the tc arms are bolted in, dont do that.

PIC-0124.jpg

The strut assembly with stage three silver mine motors calipers

PIC-0125.jpg

Bolted in to place with eibach progressive springs

PIC-0128.jpg

PIC-0129.jpg

What to do about this...

PIC-0123.jpg

Empty space for now.

PIC-0130.jpg

PARTS! parts for me and parts for you, surely I won't need all those.

PIC-0127.jpg

It was raining so I didn't take a picture of the car under the tarp, but I have them on a disc at my garage so next week they will be up. I can only work sundays so thats when you can expect updated pictures!