HybridZ

HayaiZ's 260Z write-up

Hey everyone! I picked up my non-running late model 260Z a while ago! It must've been 6 months, and I didn't get anything done. Woe is me... Until last month, when I got my 280ZXt motor into the local machine shop, there's a whole plethora of things I'm having done, but it's basically a complete rebuild with a slight bore of .002? He says 20 thousandths, and I'm bad with decimals. Anyways, I figure that's gonna give me a bit of a power boost! ^^

Let's see, since I've gotten motivated there's been lots done! The major thing was that I got the L26 and 4spd out, with the help of my friend! And I've done some demolition on the interior. There are 2 holes on the passenger side from rust, and some other spots on the exterior that are covered by paint... I guess the previous owner was too lazy to remove it and got a $100 paint job from MAACO >.< Oh well, I'm gonna end up sanding it down anyways, hopefully there's no Bondo on it.

Umm... Hopeful power gains by the end of the engine modifications are: 200hp, MAYBE 300hp depending on if I get my raise! >.<

What type of pistons are they putting in? Got any specs? It'd be nice to know if you're getting cast or forged pistson, and how much dish they have.

Going .020 overbore (that's twenty thousandths) won't give you a ton of extra HP. Generally a machine shop will go overbore for the freshening effect of new wall surface, more than the extra displacement. Another big factor is that your machinist can then bore match each cylinder to each piston, giving the best possible fit of the piston. .020 over will give you about an extra 2 cubic inches I think, so not a ton.

But if the piston has less dish, or has a better designed dish then that could easily have an effect on the power. Stock compression is pretty low and there's no reason it couldn't be raise a little bit and still be reliable. In fact many guys take the NA motor and stick all the turbo stuff on them and run them just fine, showing that the stock turbo compression is pretty conservative.

About the body, for your sake I hope it's a pretty clean chassis. Search around, there's plenty of guys here that have invested insane amounts of time in just rust repair. It can be a real pain.

From what the machinist told me, they're OEM style pistons. I guess that means they're flat-top? The pistons that I pulled out of the engine in the first place had a little bit of a dish in them, but I figured even if they're called "flat-top" they've got to have SOME room for the air/fuel mix, right?

I gotta figure out how to post up some pictures so you can all see what I'm talking about! Ta ta for now lovelies~ ^^

Ive been looking for a 5 speed, but since I'm not really planning on racing him, I want one that has more of a "cruising" 5th gear instead of the closed ratio more autoX T-5.

I'm not really sure of the differences though, so I'm not sure what's entailed in the swap.

So, this is just a miscellaneous update. I took off one of the SUs today and found that the piston was really gummed up! o.o; It had to be like dirty oil or something. It was gross >.< But at least I know why it wasn't starting when I was playing with it a few months ago! The carbs weren't opening! xD

I'm gonna take them all the way apart for fun today, just so I can have the experience. Probably be up for sale later too! Once they're clean and such. ^_^