HybridZ

455 olds into a 280zx

I know oldsmobile isn't chevy, but I think I'll get more of a response here.

I have a '76 455 sitting in my garage, and there is a 280zx in the paper with no motor or tranny for 700 bucks. I've heard that the 280zx is a bit smaller than the older Z's. Does anyone have an idea as to whether or not my engine would fit without cutting up the car too much (as in, no more than a chevy swap)? I planned on using a 4 speed manual, like an M22.

I've heard that the 280zx is a bit smaller than the older Z's. Does anyone have an idea as to whether or not my engine would fit without cutting up the car too much (as in, no more than a chevy swap)?

Are you asking if the 280zx is a smaller car or if the engine bay is smaller? Who told you that you had to cut up a 280zx when you put a sbc in it?

im pretty sure that the 455 is alot wider than the SBC 350...and the 350 is a tight fit.

Unless you're talking about the driver's side header then I will disagree with you. The sbc fits very nicely.

Am I correct in thinking that there is more room in an older Z?

I think all of you would benefit from reading the rules. Speculation only clutters the board and makes facts harder to find/establish.

From running a few searches I found some posts indicating that the engine bay on the 280zx is a bit more cramped than the older Zs.

By "cut up the car" to install a SBC engine, I meant the obvious alterations (what is included in the JTR manual). If I have to cut into the fender wells or make some drastic alterations to the car, I'll just wait until another time to build a v8 z and stuff my 455 into something else.

Where in Ohio are you? If in the southwest area, PM me and we'll discuss in more detail.

In short, the main issues will be driver's side exhaust header vs. steering linkage, oil pan and possible harmonic damper vs. steering rack, and most likely custom mounts to the frame rails (as opposed to the steering cross-member). S30 are far more common and generally regarded as easier than S130 swaps, but there are plenty of interesting exceptions. One member here has fit a 454 BBC into a S130, and several (myself included) have done a BBC into the S30. B-O-P "big blocks" are a little different (do a search on "engine dimensions FAQ") but the problems are not insurmountable. Personally I think that upgrading and tuning an engine are harder than doing the swap itself, because doing the swap is largely a matter of crafting bits here and there, while building an engine requires detailed knowledge and angelic patience.

I took a look at a Olds 455 today in my buddy's shop and it looks to as wide as my BBC (454). Regardless it is do-able. An early project of mine was stuffing a 392 HEMI into a 1957 Nash Metro, now that was an interesting swap....

My point is anything is possible, it just depends on how far you are willing to go.