HybridZ

Friends 72' 240z Sil Plate Problem-Cant Be Correct?

Hey guys. My friend was just given a decent 240z. Appears mostly stock including a stock looking driver door sil plate. It looks factory, but it lists his GVRW as 2400 pounds :shock:

Front is a tad under 1200, and rear is a tad over 1800 for a total of 2400 even. This cant be correct, what do some of your guys plates read?

It has the matching consecutive unit number as listed on the dash plate, and the engine compartment plate...Im confused?

Well, thats my whole point. I understand what the GVRW is, thats why it cant be 2400 pounds. That would mean the Z has a curb weight of like 1900 pounds...Thats way too light. Im trying to figure out where the plate came from, or if maybe its just a mistake from the factory.

I've actually seen this on another Z. I believe it was a 71' a guy here in Ohio has a 240 he restored and the sill plate shows GVWR 2400. I couldn't believe that. Like you said that would indicate a ridiculously low weight. I almost wouldn't be surprised if they started calculating it differently a year or so later. The 73' I looked at had a weight of around 2700 or 2800 lbs.

I always try to figure these weights out by assuming 2 people at 150lbs each, so about 300 lbs, maybe 50 lbs for cargo, 20-30 for spare tire, and at least 50lbs for gas. Although I have no idea how they determine, but I see what you're saying as this would indicate a curb weight of less than 2000 lbs.