HybridZ

Drive shaft removal

Drax240z

Well, I got the engine in the car today. Good thing too! Looks right at home in there. icon_smile.gif Anyway, I still have the driveshaft attached at the rear to the diff, without the front being slid into the tranny.

The 4 bolts on my driveshaft connecting it to the diff are pretty darn hard to move. I oiled them down and am letting them sit now... But when you guys removed your driveshaft the first time, did you come up with any tricks to get those 4 bolts out? I can't really get much more than 3/4 of an open end wrench on it.

I seem to remember wedging a slotted screwdriver tip between the head of the nut and u-joint boss to keep it from spinning while I was backing out the other side. I couldn't get a wrench on either one side or the other, and this at least allowed me to break them and tighten them back up.

Like Pete said, you should modify a closed-end wrench. Here is what the one I use on Z half-shafts and drive-shafts looks like. The one on the right is a standard Craftsman wrench. The one on the left is a cheapie that has been ground down around the perimeter and necked down at the base. I keep it in a drawer in my tool box with a bunch of other "special" tools.

DSCN0740.JPG

[ April 29, 2001: Message edited by: Paul R ]

Trick? Sure, whip out a propane torch and heat the bolts up till they sizzle just a bit. LockTite is often used on driveshaft bolts (I use it!) and the heat will make the stuff let go pretty easy. Sure enough, when I heated mine I smelled LockTite and the bolts came off pretty easy...

Thanks guys I got it today. It helped having my dad under there with me, the extra set of hands were useful. Basically I think it comes down to me being too tired to really crank on the suckers before, because this time around it was pretty easy. Well then again, they did soak in WD-40 for a couple days too. icon_smile.gif