HybridZ

KenshinX Current status: 260z build up

Easy there turbo. He wasnt pointing fingers at you. The point is a good working drum system works fine for the street. Your system was not defective. Defective means there was a part that broke when it shouldnt of. I dont think you can call any part on our cars defective after 30+ years of service. Your system just wasnt maintained well. Not saying you neglected it just that i was neglected. and honestly it sounds like you have a problem with your E-brake set up that might not be in the drums them self it might be in the mechanism and that its not releasing correctly.

I'm not knocking drums I have drums on my corolla and malibu. All I'm saying is I had a bad experience with the issue of correcting the problem. Yes I know the e-brake is the suspect which is why I mentioned it, is that alot to ask for? If I insulted anyone in anyway then I'm sorry.

If drums were the only choice there wouldnt be an option for 240sx or toyota 4x4 "upgrades" its the owners discretion which is hybridz.org mission.

I really dont wanna bother with the subject anymore because there is a ton of questions I could ask you too.

Dude stop getting defensive. We arent attacking you. Im planning on switching to disk in the back also. I personally just want to make sure you go after the culprit of the problem and not throw disks on thinking you fix it and then your disks lock up also. I am by NO means a purist. Ive been spending the last couple hours hacking up my Perfect fender lips so I can run ZG's And my car will be getting a 2jz-gte when the zxt blows up.

I just want to see you do a good job on your car and actually fix the problem and not just throw parts at it till it works. Its just a wast of money and time doing that.

Good luck.

Well, I have an idea, how about stop spending money on turbos and intercoolers when the car does not even stop reliably. You need to get your priorities in check. What good is trying to achieve 450whp ( A ridiculous number arbitrarily picked I am sure ) if you cannot stop the car. Take a few steps back, your about to be in college and what you need is reliable transportation. Not some poorly tuned high strung project car that wont get you to class. Take it from somebody who drove a 512 HP 74 Trans Am for 2 years in college. Its not the way to go. If college is more important to you, keep your car stock, and in good mechanical condition.

I have 2 other forms of transportation a 97 corolla with 20,000 miles excellent gas mileage and a 99 malibu so I have already thought of that the Z is a project and project only you must not have read my thread and just looked at the pictures. Secondly, I am upgrading the brakes to improve performance. I picked 450whp because I want to run 11sec on the 1/4.As I recall I JUST posted that I'm slowing things down on my Z because of college. I am upgrading the rear to discs and front to big brakes. The front has the most stopping power. READ.

Wow, you guys got that stirred up? Nobody has a problem with discs or drums here. Basically, both work equally well for the street. Discs are more cosmetically appealing, and require less work per brake job than drums do. Drums (generally) require less regular maintenance.

I'm sure your brakes were neglected, just as mine were. I totally hear you on the obscene 4.5" dual side-dump exhaust. It was there when I bought the car, and made me chuckle. The really funny part is that I'm still planning to do dual side-dumps, but using 1l motorcycle cans. Still kind of silly, but we're all allowed to do silly things.

Being aware that a certain upgrade doesn't make a whole lot of sense but doing it anyway is what we're all about though, isn't it? So by all means, kick ass with discs (coincidentally, I have rear discs too... that doesn't make them a BETTER idea than drums, though).

I have 2 other forms of transportation a 97 corolla with 20,000 miles excellent gas mileage and a 99 malibu so I have already thought of that the Z is a project and project only you must not have read my thread and just looked at the pictures. Secondly, I am upgrading the brakes to improve performance. I picked 450whp because I want to run 11sec on the 1/4.As I recall I JUST posted that I'm slowing things down on my Z because of college. I am upgrading the rear to discs and front to big brakes. The front has the most stopping power. READ.

Take a step back slick. I read your posts. And I know exactly what your thinking of doing. I was your age once as well. I know precisely what goes on in your head. The biggest clue to where your at in your project is you actually care if your car was faster than your friends WRX. Having put so much emphasis on that, I know precisely where your mindset is. So you can lose your high horse. When college starts you will find that you have very little time for toys. Its just not possible to do both well. I think putting your Z to bed for a few years is the smart move, so you can do it when you have A) enough time, and B) enough money. Because if there is one thing that is universally true, its that college kids lack funds. Your Z will be there waiting for you, by then you may have different priorities, and running in the 11's may not seem like that big a deal. Especially when there will be many people in the 10's. There is always somebody faster. Keep in mind this. It takes A LOT more than just HP to get into the 11's. You are going to have to do a great deal of chassis work and tranny and rear end work if you want to run that hard. 11's is no joke. For every dollar you spend on the engine, be prepared to spend AT LEAST that much if not double on the chassis. Power is meaningless if you cannot get it to the ground. If your still reading and my preaching has not bored you. I only tell you this as I have built up an monster engine or two in my time and chassis tuning is the difference between a 13 second car and a 11 second car.

Also be prepared to only own a drag car. Not too many people have the funds to pull off an 11 second quarter miler and still have a car thats fun to drive and handles well.

Good Luck, but I forsee your goals changing soon. IT may not seem like I am trying to help, but believe me, I am.

I'm done cause no matter what I say I'm still a youngster So I am just gonna drop the subject. I am not your average lead foot teenager ( but you wouldn't know that since you don't know me) and I guess I can't have goals either. I have been working since I was 15. 35-43hrs a week while in high school still maintaining a 4.0 gpa. My Z sat in the garage for 2 years

before I even drove it. I had got in a really bad accident with my first corolla identical to my current one and almost died. The 18 wheeler stopped in time. So that pushed back my plans and I had to spend another 5k on another corolla for a form of transportation for to and from school and work. I worked the whole summer and walked to work EVERYDAY. I didn't have your go to the theme park and movies and beach summer it sucked. Point is I have gained patience from that and I never put a date down of when I will get this 450whp its just A GOAL. I might achieve this 5 yrs heck maybe 10yrs who knows cause college comes first.

I learned how to drive my Z in 4hrs the day I got the carbs tuned. The turbo motor was a project between me and my father so we could spend time together because he wasn't their since I was 7. Anyway I think I'm gonna shut up now its really not worth it.

You can get angry at me all you want, but what you went through is pretty typical. My brother and myself had similar starts in life (minus the 18 wheeler). We worked crazy hours,we had crappy jobs, we had project cars, etc. So nothing special about any of that from my seat. I am just letting you know you need to expand your list of plans. Don't just build the engine, build the entire car. This is good advice I am giving you. If you choose not to listen to me because you think I am a prick, its your loss. You will probably do your own thing, so be it. I know exactly where you are in life, as I was there. I don't have to know you personally.

Haha thats funny challenger How bout you take that violin to the mall for all the kids who didn't get the newest Jordans today. Or didn't get enough allowance at the age of 16 and up. Sounds like a plan. :hijack:

Scrappydo yes I think you are a prick not because of the suggestion, but because of the way you presented them. Like I said you DONT know me therefore you automatically assumed I am the teen that is gimme gimme and doesnt think.

Hmmm.. would this be the plan your referring to:

( posted on my wall in front of my face right now no lie)

Engine:

L28ET

Holset turbo HY35w

Supra 450cc injectors

Pallnet fuel rail

Walbro 255LPH fuel pump

Port Polish 240sx pistons. (forged)

Head bored and worked flow tested

Maxima diesel crank or Nissan competition crank

Intercooler same side

Crushed eclipse blow off valve

60mm throttle body

Intercooler piping 2.5"

Silicone couplers

Aluminum Flywheel

Megasquirt 1 v3.0

MS wiring harness and sensors

Wideband 02

Greddy boost controller

After which everything is built and ready to go the engine will remain on a engine stand. (not in the car)

Exhaust:

Custom 3" straight back custom downpipe

Dynamax SS turbo muffler

Suspension:

Struts and springs already replaced by PO: Ebiach springs Tokico struts (sp?)

Rear differential r200 from a r180 lowest ration possible which would be a 3.54 from a 280zx auto which I have as a donor.

Transmission 5spd from a 1984 200sx turbo swaped by PO Not sure if this can handle 400whp but i will get it machined to a different ratio.

Brakes:

Rear Maxima discs.

Front big brake toyota 4x4 discs or Wilwood disc kit.

Body:

Complete media blast and repaint original emerald green. (although the car is rust free arizona car I am skeptical.)

No roll cage it will not be a track car.

450whp will be at High settings so yes it can be a occasional nice sunny day street car. Which is why I have a corolla the Z rides too ruff as it is now and it is too hot to be a everyday car.

I guess I didn't know any of that stuff and I didn't read any post I'm just another one of those guys who ask without searching.

I could go on for days and actually keep it coming its making me wanna complete it all just to come back up here post it. I am so serious motivation and determination is the key. Not to mention gain a degree in computer engineering A+ certification essential and 202, experience as a part time technician while in college and more money in my pocket.

I think scrappies words were insightful and useful in many ways. I also think, given the way this threads tone has escalated so quickly, it was the most genuine way of still trying to only help and not flame.

Not to join in on the poop slinging fest over break methods, but im running drums that I have yet to get around to restoring since I got the car. They are squeeky, and I too was also considering a disc upgrades instead of machining my discs/drums and getting new pads. With that aside the drums do work well and have never unintentionaly locked on me.

Good Luck!

Ben

No, thats actually not the list I was talking about. None of those parts will help you run 11's, those are the parts that look pretty in a magazine or parts book. But I am done, and unlike yourself I am not going to keep posting here. Its your thread, enjoy it. I am guilty of putting it off coarse a little and for that I apologize. However, you will find that there is far more to making a fast car than assembling a list of popular Z mods. Especially one with limits as high as your shooting for. I am also going to look up how you machine a transmission to get a different ratio to make it handle more power. Thats a new one for me.

Have a great time in school and study hard, keep those A+'s coming. And when you achieve your goal, by all means come back and show everybody. Because that means you made it through college and have a great paying job which is the most important thing of all.