HybridZ

seats & belts

sandman825

Okay, now trying not to be too trivial here, but I kinda need some advice on seats and belts. After searching and reading quite a few lengthy threads on saftey belts, I think I am a little overwhelmed with information.

I got a 73' 240z about 2 months ago, and I def want to get some new belts, and maybe seats. It seems that many people on the site have 4 or 5 point harnesses in their daily driver.

I was wondering if the stock belts were considered unsafe and whether the common concensus was to install 4 or 5 point safety harnesses in their place? I'm going to drive the car as a daily driver....hopefully do a little racing in street class, maybe, but thats later on. Obviously 4 or 5 points would be better than the stock, but is it nessescary?

I want to do everything I can to have the car as safe as possible, and I know the car is old and is not quite up to todays safety standards, so the question is: Will new seats and harness really keep me that much safer? or are the stock belts good enough?

Also, I'm going to be starting my second year of auto mechanics next fall, so you can kind of gauge my experience. It sounds like installing these harnesses is kinda and exact art. I know my teacher drag races with a camaro, but I don't know his experience w/ safety equiptment. So where else would be a good place to get some assistance in instalation?

Thanks in advance for helpin out the new guy.

Guest 73LT1Z

From what I've read, the 240 belts are different than the 280 ones in my car (I am also looking at replacing mine due to age). I want to use a 3 point retractor belt since I won't be doing any racing, and the 4 point ones would be hard for me and family passengers to use. Most of the aftermarket seats have slots/holes for the 4 point harnesses.

Here are some stock type belts I found for the 240:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/40-7490 ($100/side)

http://www.car-stuff.com/cs_auto/mmpb/nissan/240z/seat_belt/replacement/cs45e92b2663dd5?roicid=U1172810084W45e7a9647e3bb&roikwd=Nissan+240Z+Seat+Belt ($106 for both sides)

Here is a link to the discontinued part on Courtesy Nissan's page:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=H6830-S30

Three point belts need two mounting points in the floor on the outside, one in the roof on the outside and one on the floor/tunnel on the inside. If you look at your car, you will be able to see how it is configured. Most cars after the late 60's had this setup from the factory.

There are also some factory seats that have the belts built-in. I used a set of Chrysler Sebring convertible seats in my '65 Corvair since they had the built-in belts and my car did not have the roof mounting point due to age.

As far as seats go, there are some good threads here. For street use, you can spend anywhere from $70/pair for junkyard seats to a couple thousand for renowned aftermarket ones. IMHO, be sure to use quality materials to attach whatever you end up using to the floor of the car, and be sure the floor itself is sound (rust). I would not doubt the cheaper seats (like the JC Whitney ones I just bought, see my other thread about these) are not certified to any motor vehicle standard, whereas JY seats from production cars would be certified in theory.

Spend some time shopping/researching and you will get a good feel for what is available.

I've just installed MSA (thezstore) seat belts on my 72 240z with no problem.

If you are not racing your car, the retractable ones are probably the best choice.

I like 4/5 point harnesses but not to be able to move in your daily (or weekend) car is a pain. I still need some "confort", but you're right, safety first.

Thanks guys,

I was kinda leaning twoard the retractable ones mainly because of the convenience. But I mean, I'm 6'3" and I think I'll get taller....so would that make it any easier to reach things about the cabin if I was strapped in with a 4 point?

I've also read that height can have an impact on the seats that you can get, so I've kinda ruled out the attractivley priced Corbeaus. Seeing as most sites I have been to don't have dimensions, is there any other brands that can be easily ruled out?