HybridZ

Anyone interested in a custom Holset downpipe?

Well I am getting back to my Holset swap soon (sigh) Anyway I have to make myself up a new downpipe. I already have a Vband clamp and a custom machined 4" Vband flange to match up with my Hy35. I will likely decide to make it with a immediate taper down to 3" and try to fit in two 45 degree bends around my z32 tranny. So I was thinking if there is anyone out there that would like me to make them one while I have everything apart on my car and can use it as a template let me know.

The DP will be designed for:

1. first generation Z

2. Holset turbo with Vband style 4" exhaust outlet.

3. z32 tranny (nissan L28 would likely work as well..)

My supplier of mandrel bends only has top quality stainless steel material meant for the food industry, it is very, very nice stuff, unfortunatly it is also very expensive. I don't have a exact price yet but just warning you guys it will not be cheap. It will however be a very nice part, that much I can promise you.

Interested members please contact me soon as I hope to have my downpipe issues all wrapped up with in the next few weeks.

Its easier to make a 4 inch dp and then transition it under the car when its going straight. and you can do it much more gradual. Ilso i had my dp off yesterday and i was noticing that i had black soot on the inside of my v-band clamp which says to me that its not sealing up correctly. Im going to order up one of these with there appropriate clamp that they sell and going to try it. http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=327&osCsid=cd7d572d02e5481c85309a06d1f9250d The dimension in the photo gets the outer lip dimension alot closer than the one i have and i think it will work alot better.

you actually need 2 45's and one id say 15deg. bend

Yeah, I still haven't sized it up on the car yet so I'm not sure what will and what won't work.. The reason for the early transition to 3" is more about the cost of materials.. The 4" stuff is alot more expensive. Even that I have to see if it pans out. As for the z32 tranny, I would rather have one that is ready for the upgrade than have to re-make the DP after doing a trans swap. If a pipe fits with the z32 trans, I don't see why it would not work with the L28 trans as it is alot smaller.

In fact I just had my z32 bell housing machined, but have not put it back together yet. I am going to mount it up empty, just to mock up a DP. Then I'm gonna put the L28 trans back just to get it back on the road quicker as I do not have a custom driveshaft, shifter or messed with the trans mounts yet. Right now I just want to drive it till I blow up my L tranny.. LOL

Take some photos of the mock up if you get a chance. Thanks.

No problem, I guess I won't get too much interest in pipes until I get a few pics up. It always seems to be the way..

I hope to start on it sometime next week, I would be doing it now but my car is still in storage at the moment. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got my car home and started working on it, Installed the z32 bellhousing for the time being to mock up my downpipe. It is VERY tight with 4" material. Right now all I have is one 90 degree bend and a 4 to 3" reducer. In order to make the the exhaust get under the car the only way I can see it working is cut up the 90 into a 45 and perhaps two 22.5 degree bends and snake my way through. I will still need to purchase another 90 degree bend as Jeffer was right that the transition has to be made under the car. I can make copies if anyone wants to ask for one soon but man those parts are pricey.. I am gagging at the thought of having to purchase another 4" bend.