HybridZ

TPS and cold start valve

coolhand

To clarify, it has a variable resistor as opposed to the other connector-on off. Check other threads on this. There are a lot of EE`s on this site who know their stuff. But, I think the above is right. I`ve checked the ohms out and it synchs.

On the other hand ,Challenger. Are You talking about the colder climate we both live in? I was planning on driving My Z spring to fall. I have a Suburu for winter. But, others may want to go the full calendar in this climate. Have done the Z stock for 28 yrs here full calendar. CoolHand lives near San Diego so the cold start is irrelevant to Him. Arizona Z for the spacer ( Pallnet maybe , but they are always out of them) EBAY for the thang--got mine for 26 bucks w/shipping not too long ago. Thanks, Roger

To answer the other part of the original question, I wouldn't use the stock cold start system. MS has its own cold start method and i think it would be difficult to get the two to work together properly. You'd basically need the MS to know if the car's thermo-time switch was on or off. This will tell you if the cold start injector will fire during cranking and during these conditions you'd need to have MS supply less fuel to accommodate for that.

i know it's possible, but i doubt it's worth the time.

MS has cold start settings, but without some sort of cold start valve to increase air intake during warm up the settings will just make your car run pig rich on warm up which will make it take longer to get to operating temps. You need a valve, but the cold start injector isn't necessary as MS will increase the fuel during warm up on it's own. Now for cold start valves you can use the stock which is nothing more than a bimetal heater that closes a large "vacuum leak" as the car warms up, or you can use a GM style idle air controller with one of the various bodies available on the market. There's lots of options out there, it's all dependent on what you want to do.

Thanks to all who responded. I still have a few more things to get,do before I install my ms-1. To me ,it is all alittle intimidating and I had hoped to find someone in the San Diego aera who had done the swap to maybe give me a hand. So far,have not come across anyone yet so I'm gonna have to do more reading before I do the swap. I guess it dosen't matter what year tps to use. Anywho,thanks again to all that responded. I'm sure I will have more questions as I get further along on this. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

rvandivort,I bought an ms1 with single ign output. I already have an 83 turbo dizzy,I needed to know about the cold start. If I read Naviathan"s post right,I can use my aar without the cold start valve. Just about have all parts needed. Would still like to have someone in the San Diego area,who has done the change,to help if possible.I have a shop to use and will pay for gas if needed. Again,thanks for the replies.

Challenger! Did You chop off the front end off a stocker? Been looking for a spacer...Pallnet and Arizona Z. Apparently, they are out of business ...no response on the clicker. At any rate it would be quicker for me--got one outside the door. How did You do it-- abrasive blade on whatever , sawsall, or other?? Thank`s Roger .Great idea,Am about ready to install. Have it other than the longer bolts available at the local Home Depot.

NO, don't do anything with your FIDLE wire, it will not be used.

Just connect the AAR so that it gets voltage when the car is started. It will heat up on its own from the coolant that flows throught it, plus the internal electric heater.

This will give you more airflow while the engine is coming up to temp, exactly what you want. Then just tune you warmup enrichment table in megatune.

That is all, it is a nice simple solution. I used it on my car and it worked very well. Don't confuse after start enrichment with warmup enrichment. After start if just for the few seconds when you first fire a completely cold engine. The pistons immediately heat up and then ASE decays away in a few seconds, but warmup continues to provide more fuel up to around 160 degrees.