HybridZ

need help with conversion

i have an msd-5 and was wondering if any one else has used one and if you can convert the original point breaker system and use a 280 electric dizzy on it or do i still have to convert the whole car??? so below is the stuff i have and if anyone else has done this and knows what ill need or what to use please let me kno, cause i want to go with electronic igniton

1980 280zx dizzy

msd-5 igniton box

msd igniton coil

also is there a way to bypass the ballist risitor?? or do i have to use it?

Here is a write up on converting the early points dizzy to a 280Z electronic dizzy: http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/gmhei.html

I have all the parts, and plan to do this very soon, just haven't found the time yet, hopefully this weekend.

I just looked up the installation instructions ( http://msdignition.com/pdf/5200_frm18162.pdf ), and the MSD-5 does not have a magnetic trigger in so you will also need the GM ignition module suggested in the above documentation.

Just to forewarn you, your tach will no longer function, because of the change in wiring. The 240 tach is current triggered in that the main coil power wire runs through the tach. You will need a later tach that is points triggered and then add a wire for this from the tach output of your MSD ignition to the new dizzy. If you need a later tach I have an extra one I'm willing to sell.

how would i wire that gm module in, i just want to wire in my 280zx dizzy cause i took off the 280zx ignition module and the red and green wires are behind it so i extended them and now looking how to hook them up to the msd-5