HybridZ

Turbo electronics on an NA Engine

naviathan

I thought I'd start a new thread to discuss this. My 82 Fairlady 280Z has a F54 block, Flat top pistons with a P90 head, NA Exhaust manifold, NA injectors and NA AFM. All the electronics on the engine are the turbo model ECCS system. It has the optical dizzy, ECCS ECU, VCM, AAC, 2 pin TVS, etc... Is this common for a JDM car or has someone done a lot of work on this for no real reason? There's no boost gauge in the dash, and nothing else on the car to indicate a turbo aside from the electronics. I'm no expert in the ECCS system and the car has a hesitation when you make throttle movements (i.e. Step on the gas from a stop it stutters, step on the gas while cruising it stutters...etc...). Any ideas on any of this?

Nothing wrong with having the electronics on there - as long as you are using the turbo injectors - the afm and ecu are calibrated for those.

Have you checked the TPS to make sure it is making contact at idle?

I don't know about the JDM stuff at all, but the owner could have had a problem wih the original electronics and swapped them.

Man.........how loose would the spring in the air flow meter have to be to run that?

Never mind..............already been there.

Easiest is to get the turbo injectors and fix the connectors that plug into the ecu.......and check for a cracked ecu board......and check for a capacitor that has leaked corrosive and conductive substance onto the traces of the board.

Quick question.........does the harness going to the throttle position sensor have 2 or 3 wires?

It's a two wire TVS. The car runs, I've been driving it everyday this week. It's not a turbo, it just has the turbo ECU, wiring harness and the majority of the electronics. The only NA electronics in it are the injectors and AFM. From scrubbing over the car everything appears stock, it just doesn't fit the typical combinations we seen in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the same thing and eventually put in the injectors and air flow meter from the turbo but that brought up having to come up with proper diameter piping and routing scheme.

I never did put a turbo on the car before I discovered how bad the rust was progressing which made me mad since I had swapped in a R200 and 3n71b turbo version tranny as well as both front and rear crossmembers and rack and this and that..........harsh.

It did pick up a tenth in the quarter mile most likely from the higher stall speed convertor.