HybridZ

Anyone know how a semi-automatic with a clutch works?!

proxlamus©

I've noticed WRC cars and F1 cars for example have a semi-automatic transmission with the flappy paddle gear box.. but they also have a clutch pedal and clutch for launches or tight handbrake turns so they don't stall out.

VIDEO example

about 5 min in

I realize there is obviously a clutch and pressure plate, but is there also a torque converter?!

If this system used JUST a clutch.. how does the transmission shift under load and full throttle for example without "disengaging?" from one gear to the next.

Im puzzled.

I found this "dual-clutch" transmission link on how stuff works

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-clutch-transmission.htm

If you have a dual clutch system... is there a primary clutch and pressure plate between the engine and the transmission, as well as the 2nd and 3rd clutches built into the transmission that are hydraulically controlled?

Im pretty sure the WRC Cars use a sequential transmission which means move the gearshift forward and you up shift, backwards and downshift. There is still a clutch pedal, its just all in the transmission. Then there is flappy paddle transmission. Im a Ferrari tech so Ill offer my input. These transmissions do have clutches like any standard transmission yet they are electronically controlled when you hit the paddle then the information is sent to a TCU (Transmission control unit) then the TCU procedes to disengage the clutch hydraulically, switch gears and re-engage the clutch. Now for you who havent heard about the Ferrari F430 Scuderia, its shift times are almost as fast as a F1 Car. I havent been able to drive one, but have been in the presence of one and heard it drive off when the owner picked it up. First one in Oregon :)